Nowhere to grab!!

21 replies to this topic
  • mgrych

Posted August 13, 2011 - 08:35 AM

I was looking at the 2011 YZ's and noticed they had a nice big hole back behind and under the seat area to grab and lift and move the bike.

My 09 has a similar hole but it's TINY!!! I can only fit a finger maybe 2 in there to pick the bike up and it's a pain in the ace.. Has anyone modified this opening to make it bigger or something? let me know what you thing

• mgrych

Posted August 13, 2011 - 08:39 AM

here's a pic... see what i mean it's TINY!!!! Posted Image

• jratcliffe3

Posted August 13, 2011 - 09:02 AM

Just lift it by the front of the back mudguard.

• shrubitup

Posted August 13, 2011 - 09:09 AM

Just lift it by the front of the back mudguard.

It'll put marks in the plastic. :eek:

Get an animal handle!

http://www.animalhandles.com/

• mgrych

Posted August 13, 2011 - 09:09 AM

I can lift it from any point, but the grab holes are in an ergonomic position and are made for that purpose. I know others have modified their bike's grab holes and would like to hear what they did.

• shrubitup

Posted August 13, 2011 - 09:11 AM

I can lift it from any point, but the grab holes are in an ergonomic position and are made for that purpose. I know others have modified their bike's grab holes and would like to hear what they did.

They ain't grab holes. Those are air box holes so your bike can breathe.

• mgrych

Posted August 13, 2011 - 09:12 AM

It'll put marks in the plastic. :eek:

Get an animal handle!

http://www.animalhandles.com/

Those look cool, but i'm trying to do with what i got already without adding weight, but it definitely looks like the best option for if i were to ever do some serious off road/woods riding.

• shrubitup

Posted August 13, 2011 - 09:13 AM

Those look cool, but i'm trying to do with what i got already without adding weight, but it definitely looks like the best option for if i were to ever do some serious off road/woods riding.

If the amount of "weight" added makes you lose a race - you should work on technique.

• mgrych

Posted August 13, 2011 - 09:15 AM

has nothing to do with racing, i just don't want to add anything, or spend any money... i don't even race, I just don't want to buy anything if there's a simple mod i can do.

• phiderman

Posted August 13, 2011 - 12:59 PM

simple mod. use the front part of the back fender to lift the bike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dfeckel

Posted August 13, 2011 - 03:35 PM

Here's a quick behavior mod--reach further down the bike and grab either the swingarm or down where the subframe meets the frame. You can really lift the bike high that way.

• mgrych

Posted August 13, 2011 - 03:53 PM

So as response to my initial question, from the comments received, no one has modified, cut, or manipulated the stock grab hole. Instead "grab it elsewhere" seems to be the popular answer.

Not that it doesn't make sense to grab it elsewhere, when you cannot use the grab holes, it's just that I wanted to know IF ANYONE HAS MODIFIED THE STOCK GRAB HOLES.. I've been doing just like you have all said "grab it somewhere else" I was just curious if anyone has made any changes since it would be nice to be able to use the grab holes for their purpose, and their ergonomic location.

But I digress.. continue to suggest I lift from a different location.. i must not be getting the point:bonk:

• metallic88

Posted August 13, 2011 - 03:56 PM

on my 08 yz250f i just grab the pipe it works great

• Ryder988

Posted August 13, 2011 - 04:31 PM

So as response to my initial question, from the comments received, no one has modified, cut, or manipulated the stock grab hole. Instead "grab it elsewhere" seems to be the popular answer.

Not that it doesn't make sense to grab it elsewhere, when you cannot use the grab holes, it's just that I wanted to know IF ANYONE HAS MODIFIED THE STOCK GRAB HOLES.. I've been doing just like you have all said "grab it somewhere else" I was just curious if anyone has made any changes since it would be nice to be able to use the grab holes for their purpose, and their ergonomic location.

But I digress.. continue to suggest I lift from a different location.. i must not be getting the point:bonk:

Like said before. Those aren't grab holes those are holes for the air filter. Just pick it up with the fender closer to the seat it will not break!

• KJ790

Posted August 13, 2011 - 04:35 PM

Like everyone else has said, those aren't grab holes, they are air intakes. I always just lift it by the exhaust pipe. People will say that that will break the exhaust but I have been doing it on multiple bikes for many years now and have yet to break a pipe there.

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2011 - 05:00 PM

on my 08 yz250f i just grab the pipe it works great

The pipe can be 600 ℉. What kind of gloves do you wear?

• KJ790

Posted August 13, 2011 - 05:03 PM

The pipe can be 600 ℉. What kind of gloves do you wear?

Where the midpipe enters the silencer it isn't nearly as hot as it is right at the head, though it can be pretty hot. If I do it right when I come off of the track I just pick it up in one quick motion and have never burned myself. I did have one pair of gloves get a little melted, but for the most part it's never been a problem for me.

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2011 - 05:07 PM

Where the midpipe enters the silencer it isn't nearly as hot as it is right at the head,...

I'm sure that you know that I know that. I'd just like to advise you never to try it on mine if the opportunity should ever present itself. :eek:

• BBrown626

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:57 AM

simple mod. use the front part of the back fender to lift the bike

:eek::thumbsup:

• mgrych

Posted August 14, 2011 - 08:04 AM

they're not grab holes? Understandably I'm going to assume they are dual purpose. So many other bikes have nice hand sized holes there for some strange reason. Maybe you are right though, maybe it just seems like that's what should be there, not all bikes are the same. I'll look into that animal bar, i seems to attract mud holes, logs, and other sticky situations on occasion.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.