anyway to make a 04 yz450f feel like a yz250?

10 replies to this topic
  • i ride

Posted August 09, 2011 - 09:20 PM

compared to a yz250, my bike just feels really heavy and pushes in corners compared to a yz250. which just lays over easy and holds its line well. I have a rekluse e-axle set at 23mm, forks at 10mm, and sag at 100mm. and in corners it just sucks. is there any cure besides getting a new bike?

• Yama450Thumper

Posted August 09, 2011 - 09:27 PM

no. the geometry and weight will never (any time soon anyway) allow it to feel as nimble as your YZ 250.

• bnichols87ss

Posted August 09, 2011 - 09:35 PM

Adapt and overcome my friend, my advice is use that bottom end power and get used to sliding that rear tire around.

• bryawn

Posted August 09, 2011 - 11:04 PM

I have both a YZ250 smoker and recently picked up an '04 YZ450F. From what I had heard, I thought the YZ450F wouldn't handle worth a damn. Nothing could be further from the truth. I've been very pleased with the way it handles, although it likes faster sections better than the tight woods. I can hang with the KTM300s in the woods, and kill them once it opens up. Anyway, I think something in your set up still isn't right. Have you tried a new front tire? I have a near new M-12 and seems to work well.

My biggest frustration with the bike has been stalling, but I think it's more a riding style failure -- the 450 likes to be kept on the gas. Riding aggressively cures all with this thing. As noted, the rear wheel does slide a bit, although it hooks up like crazy coming out of turns. So far, I'm loving it.

• blueberg17

Posted August 10, 2011 - 07:17 AM

I recently came off a 250 2t and had to go through a transition, where I had some of the same problems as you describe. I made a few adjustments here and there but what really helped was seat time and getting used to a different bike.

Like Yama450Thumper said, a yz450f will never feel like a yz250 and vise versa. Although, made for the same thing and from the same company they are still two different bikes, so two different riding styles.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Polar_Bus

Posted August 10, 2011 - 08:22 AM

compared to a yz250, my bike just feels really heavy and pushes in corners compared to a yz250. which just lays over easy and holds its line well. I have a rekluse e-axle set at 23mm, forks at 10mm, and sag at 100mm. and in corners it just sucks. is there any cure besides getting a new bike?

Remove the engine and roll down a hill ? :eek:

• strtdsmallproject

Posted August 11, 2011 - 06:46 AM

I just went ahead and set both bikes up to race. From what i have tried you cant make one to be the other any way you go. Its fun to ride and race both. Im set up to flip flop by feelings or track condition just for that same reason.

• grayracer513

Posted August 11, 2011 - 07:14 AM

Remove the engine and roll down a hill ? :smirk:

http://www.roadcomic...reenroom/board/ :eek:

• i ride

Posted August 16, 2011 - 07:13 PM

i just softened the comp on the forks 4 clicks, and went 2 clicks in on fork rebound and only filled the gas tank alittle less than 1/2 way(compared to filling it up as I've been doing since I bought the bike). I know that sounds that a small change. But along with the a 10mm fork height and 100mm rear sag and a 23mm offset setting with my e-axle. The bike feels amazing. As good as my YZ250. It doesn't push and it feels alot lighter than it did in corners.

• Yamiryder

Posted August 16, 2011 - 08:07 PM

Buy a yz250, it'll feel just like a 2-stroke, because it is one.:eek:

• YamaLink

Posted August 17, 2011 - 04:40 AM

Having owned both, I think my reply (in a round about way) is "this is why KTM makes & sells so many unique types and displacements."

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.