Stock exhaust worth keeping?

11 replies to this topic
  • wags450

Posted August 09, 2011 - 07:37 PM

I have a stock exhaust for a 2008 YZ450f with lexx exc sparky end cap in my garage taking up room. Is it worth keeping around or should I sell it? Is there any advantage to keeping it other than if I bend my FMF pipe?

• rpt50

Posted August 10, 2011 - 02:50 AM

You know that as soon as you sell it, you will wad up the FMF pipe!

• Irishcrfrider

Posted August 10, 2011 - 04:24 AM

none other than a spare, i would still keep it for that reason, I thought about selling my stock system when I got a set of Leo Vince duals.

Wrecked them first time out :eek:
Anything i take off the bike I now put into a box as a spare, even old chains to get me through a day.

• dalonar

Posted August 10, 2011 - 04:55 AM

if you ever trade it in or sell it, keep the stock exhaust! dealers won't give anything for aftermarket type stuff.

• YamaLink

Posted August 10, 2011 - 05:58 AM

I'm a minimalist. I like to keep a clean garage. Extra cash from quick sales is good. Having said that, I keep spare silencers/slipons/exhausts because for me it's not a case of IF but WHEN I'll need it.

• crf450319

Posted August 10, 2011 - 06:58 AM

I'm the same over here, but I went a different route. I can't stand the stock system so I bought 2 aftermarket exhaust systems in case I wad up the one mounted on my bike. I'm going to be putting my '09 up for sale pretty soon and I'm going to put the new OEM system back on it, it's always nice to have the stocker available for a potential buyer.

When I sold my '05 crf450r I lost a sale partially because the potential buyer wanted the stock system on the bike. And really, how much would cash you end up with from selling that pipe ? Prob. not a whole lot anyway.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wags450

Posted August 10, 2011 - 08:57 AM

I guess I just have to make room somewhere and deal with i taking up space because every point I came up with has been addressed here.

• William1

Posted August 10, 2011 - 09:04 AM

I hang old pipes up in my attic from the rafters.

• Yamiryder

Posted August 10, 2011 - 12:43 PM

They make nice wall hangings.

• MXKyle

Posted August 12, 2011 - 05:35 AM

The aftermarket pipes don't normally help you get a higher price at resale. So I refit my bikes back to stock when it's time to sell them. Then I sell the aftermarket parts that won't transfer over to my new bike.

Besides, if you try to sell the stock system you won't get dirt for it. Nearly everyone that owns an '08 or '09 has one hanging in their garage and no one wants them. You won't get any buyers.

--KT--

• grayracer513

Posted August 12, 2011 - 06:42 AM

Aftermarket stuff doesn't raise the price, but if there are two of the kind of bike you want to buy for sale in the same condition at the same price, one stock, and one with several hundred dollars of add-ons, which one do you buy?

They won't raise the price, but they will make the bike sell faster in most cases.

• Irishcrfrider

Posted August 12, 2011 - 07:10 AM

another thing to add.

I dont know about your races, but in ireland there are very strict sound limits, if you have an aftermarket exhaust you will be sound tested, if you're even 1DB over you will be refused. So its handy to keep the stock to bolt on quickly if the above should happen

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.