Geared E-Starting Problems Myth or Reality?

11 replies to this topic
  • Robert_Brazil

Posted September 08, 2003 - 02:12 PM

Somebody told me that the 2003 WR can be damaged when it is electric started when engaged in a gear with the clutch pulled. Meaning that it is best to start in in neutral. As a kickstarted 2001 user, the big appeal to switch to the e-start is to be able to start it with the gear applied (the YZ2003 allows for that!) but if I first have to seek neutral, I'd rather go for a lighter (and quicker starting YZ) Is this TRUTH or a MYTH?

• ddialogue

Posted September 08, 2003 - 02:15 PM

I haven't read of any issues with starting it in gear. I think it would probably start easier with the bike being in neutral than in gear with the clutch pulled in. I have an auto-clutch and there is a slight drag when it's in gear. However, I start it all the time in gear. I just need to make sure I'm not twisting the throttle too far when starting or is lurches out from underneath me. :)

• rohar

Posted September 09, 2003 - 03:36 PM

Never heard this one before. I do this all the time (OK, not ALL the time - I don't stall that much for cryin' out loud) and I've never had a problem. Just pull the hot start lever, hit the happy button and go... I've got a few hundred miles on my WR450.

• WR450F_RDR

Posted September 09, 2003 - 04:11 PM

I have over 1500 miles on mine with no e-start related problems. I use it all the time, I think I might have started it once with the kickstarter just to see if it worked. :)

• WR250fla

Posted September 09, 2003 - 05:14 PM

I start FTR harescrambles with my bike in gear, using the e-start with the clutch pulled in... and I've gotten the best starts since I started racing again. No problems ever starting in gear.

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 09, 2003 - 06:45 PM

This is flat out nonsense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I always stop my bike in gear and restart with clutch in.
I have over 5000 dirt miles on my WR450 and I stop a lot.
The e-start has been flawless for me. I have kick started it once to see if I could. First kick it fired up! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BEAN329

Posted September 09, 2003 - 07:01 PM

Ditto, lots of in gear starts. Whats the use otherwise.

• Lowedog

Posted September 09, 2003 - 09:37 PM

These things have a kick starter? :)

• Beta_Man

Posted September 09, 2003 - 09:59 PM

I have been having trouble with the clutch switch that lets the bike start in gear with the clutch pulled in. I had to take it off once and clean it and now its acting up again, i am thinking i will just remove it and short the circuit. Also the starter button doesnt work very good any more I have to give it a hard push before it will fire. Anyone else have these troubles. :)

• briter

Posted April 23, 2007 - 12:01 PM

My 2004 WR450F will no longer start in gear with the clutch pulled in. I must find neutral, then it fires right up with the e button. Prior to this problem i have ridden some 1000s of trouble free miles deploying starts in gear with clutch pulled. Is there an electrical relay that engages to allow for in gear starts using the clutch. If so, what part do I order and is it a pain-in-the-a$$ to replace. PS this issue is not limited to my bike only, a buddy of mine also ride the 2004 WR450 and his is doing the exact same thing. We have approx the same amount of miles and abuses on these bikes!!! Brian

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 23, 2007 - 12:09 PM

My 2004 WR450F will no longer start in gear with the clutch pulled in. I must find neutral, then it fires right up with the e button. Prior to this problem i have ridden some 1000s of trouble free miles deploying starts in gear with clutch pulled. Is there an electrical relay that engages to allow for in gear starts using the clutch. If so, what part do I order and is it a pain-in-the-a$$ to replace. PS this issue is not limited to my bike only, a buddy of mine also ride the 2004 WR450 and his is doing the exact same thing. We have approx the same amount of miles and abuses on these bikes!!! Brian

Yes there is a clutch safety switch, it's a normally open micro switch in the clutch perch itself. Should not be too expensive. With a little wire tracing you could probably short the circuit but probably not a good idea as an accidental lean of the elbow on the start button could launch you into an off trail excursion :applause:

• marty b

Posted April 23, 2007 - 06:14 PM

if they dident want it to start in gear they wouldent have the safty switch on the clutch lever.
people around hear have nicknamed the e start the "over 40 button"

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.