rebound clicker broke

8 replies to this topic
  • usaf_yz426

Posted August 09, 2011 - 11:45 AM

so i was stiffening up my front forks for supermoto and when i was running my rebound clicker in (left fork), i heard a snap noise and now there is no resistance when turning it in either direction, so i am assuming that it is broke. is there a way to check on this? i don't wanna take the top cap off and be greated with a shower of fork oil to the face, so is there anything i should be aware of? thanks

• usaf_yz426

Posted August 09, 2011 - 01:44 PM

so what exactly breaks on the inside when this happens? i tried taking the cap off but it seems like spring tension is holding it in, do i need to loosen the compression valve on the bottom of the fork?

• LemonDrizzle

Posted August 09, 2011 - 02:19 PM

so what exactly breaks on the inside when this happens? i tried taking the cap off but it seems like spring tension is holding it in, do i need to loosen the compression valve on the bottom of the fork?

The cap is threaded onto the damper rod so you will probably have to take the fork off the bike because you need to be able to slide the fork tube down in order to access the lock nut to remove the cap.

Here's a really good how to video on cartridge type forks from RockyMountain ATV/MC.

Part 1
Part 2

• usaf_yz426

Posted August 09, 2011 - 02:26 PM

thanks the vid helped alot, i'll break the shock down when i get home. but what exactly breaks in the rebound clicker assembly? i guess i'll find out when i get it apart.LOL

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LemonDrizzle

Posted August 09, 2011 - 03:00 PM

thanks the vid helped alot, i'll break the shock down when i get home. but what exactly breaks in the rebound clicker assembly? i guess i'll find out when i get it apart.LOL

While I've never actually had one of the caps apart, I think that there really isn't much to them. I think that all that is in there is basically a screw that applies pressure to the damping rod and an o-ring or two. It's probably not something that can be found at your local hardware store though, if I had to guess I would think that it is threaded at the top and just a bare shank towards the bottom. Like I said, though, I'm just guessing. One of two things probably happened, either the adjuster twisted off or the threads in the cap or the adjuster stripped.

• grayracer513

Posted August 09, 2011 - 03:56 PM

It's too complicated a part to jerry-rig a fix for it. You're going to need a top cap assembly. If Yamaha can't get one, or you think it's too costly, check with SMART Performance. Dave is a KYB dealer.

• usaf_yz426

Posted August 09, 2011 - 04:22 PM

thanks gray, i'll give him a call. i saw that someone is selling a pair of the caps on EBAY for a 100$, is this a good deal?

• grayracer513

Posted August 09, 2011 - 06:14 PM

Yamaha retails them for $236...each. Without checking with Dave, I think it's probably safe to guess that it is, but he could surprise you.

• usaf_yz426

Posted August 09, 2011 - 10:09 PM

Well it is verified, the rebound clicker is toast, also the rubber bump stop was trashed. I'm gonna see what dave can do for me. Costly leasoned learned, be easy on those clickers

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.