Which model year of Honda XL 250 (offroad bike) series has engine heat problems?

15 replies to this topic
  • nofacemonster

Posted August 09, 2011 - 09:48 AM

I was just wandering which Honda XL 250 R model years have the engine heat problems. I already have two bikes, Honda XL250R (1983) (NON RFVC) which has no problem at all, and also i have a Honda XLR250R (RFVC 1986 MD16 single carburetor) model which is in very good condition and i bought it about five days back. I was just thinking which of my bikes have the heat issue or none of them has it.

• michigan400

Posted August 09, 2011 - 11:14 AM

Dont hold me to this but I think it was the 84 and 85 model XR's. Not sure if the L's had the same problems in those years or not.

• Coopz The XR Man

Posted August 09, 2011 - 03:31 PM

yes the XL's had troubles, 84-87, with the twin carbies

• JJRace

Posted August 09, 2011 - 06:37 PM

any of the Ls will have heat issues 84-87 & 91-94. They dont get the oil coolers like the R models

retrofit the cooler is an option for the later models easily. On the earlier you need to retrofit the frame for the clutch arm since it is in a different location.

Run amsoil synthetic will help for sure, but still gets hot. wish the aftermarket would support them with new oil filter caps that you can easily attach an aftermarket pitbike oil cooler

• nofacemonster

Posted August 09, 2011 - 09:22 PM

Since i bought the bike five days ago, i couldn't check much in to it, but today in the morning i saw oil draining from that funnel like part where it is i think a breather to the engine case. I Removed it and it was full of oil, so i ran the engine while it is disconnected from the case and there is no oil coming out of it either, so probably previous owner has done something stupid to fill it with oil. I was just wandering if this could be the cause of bike kind of running little hotter than my older XL250R (1983). I tuned the carburetor properly as well. Now it seems to run pretty fine and healthy. The model i have is this, i just taken the picture right after i bought the bike.

see if this is the bike that is prone to engine over heat and dies....

http://img405.images...3/dsc00229y.jpg

• JJRace

Posted August 10, 2011 - 07:53 PM

looks like a 84-87 model

• CHIEFCULPRIT

Posted August 11, 2011 - 12:13 AM

Nice slicks...

• nofacemonster

Posted August 11, 2011 - 06:52 AM

Finally i manage to solve the problem up to 90%, i guess rest of the problem is in the Valves being too tight. I cleaned that funnel like thingy and heat problem went down to 90%, stock spark plug that was there is called D8EA and i changed it to D9EA and that got the engine little cooler as well. Re-tuned the carburetor also, so i guess it's gonna be fine. :eek: Thanks everybody for your valued help.

• CHIEFCULPRIT

Posted August 12, 2011 - 02:23 PM

I forgot to mention that when your bike is running lean your temps will run really high, personal experience. Retuning the carb probably helped a lot. Don't hold me to this, but I was told that the 9 plug would run hotter, also thought the 9 plug was for bored engines and higher compression. Someone here probably knows better.

• JJRace

Posted August 12, 2011 - 05:31 PM

9 is colder plug

http://www.ngksparkp...ex.asp?mode=nml

• valvesrule

Posted August 12, 2011 - 09:45 PM

Actually just 84s because of the small oil capacity. 85 up got a large sump added to the bottom of the engine cases then 86 up got the oil cooler. I've seen many 84/85 with no "heat" problems only negligent owner problems. It's not a heat problem till you run the oil low. The XLs all should be rejetted to reduce the lean condition and run cooler. Not a bad idea on XRs either.

• nofacemonster

Posted August 16, 2011 - 05:59 PM

I forgot to mention that when your bike is running lean your temps will run really high, personal experience. Retuning the carb probably helped a lot. Don't hold me to this, but I was told that the 9 plug would run hotter, also thought the 9 plug was for bored engines and higher compression. Someone here probably knows better.

Sorry for the long dead silence... Been on a tour.... I think 9 plugs represent the heat range of the plug, higher the number colder it is.... :eek: i am not 100% sure but that's what i heard.

• nofacemonster

Posted August 27, 2011 - 06:36 AM

Okay friends i take it back, The problem is still there, maybe it is not a problem but it seems to me like a problem. today i had the longest ride on my bike since i bought it. About 120KM and i rode it with a pillion (my wife). The bikes engine gets pretty hot, that you can easily bake a loaf of bread below the carburetor. I have everything checked, from valve clearance, new air cleaner, carburetor re-tuned, DR8EGP spark plug. etc. Engine oil is also changed to 20W50 Motorcycle specific oil. Any suggestions? will this heat kill my bikes engine? it's inevitable?.

• MindBlower

Posted August 27, 2011 - 07:50 AM

Some is inevitable, 250cc and 2 up riding is going to stress it. But it was designed to handle the heat and stress as LONG AS THE OIL IS FILLED AND FRESH.
The overheating is a problem when the oil is old and nasty, or too low.
Jetting needs to be SPOT ON, lean = more heat, enough to be a problem
It's normal to jet these bikes richer than one normally would to help keep them cool.
The fact that the bikes are 25+ years old and still going to answer your question about heat killing the bikes. :lol: :)

• nofacemonster

Posted August 28, 2011 - 03:02 AM

Some is inevitable, 250cc and 2 up riding is going to stress it. But it was designed to handle the heat and stress as LONG AS THE OIL IS FILLED AND FRESH.
The overheating is a problem when the oil is old and nasty, or too low.
Jetting needs to be SPOT ON, lean = more heat, enough to be a problem
It's normal to jet these bikes richer than one normally would to help keep them cool.
The fact that the bikes are 25+ years old and still going to answer your question about heat killing the bikes. :) :)

Yeah you are very true, 25+ and 59,000KM on the meter. That answers everything.

• JJRace

Posted August 30, 2011 - 07:34 AM

only other thing you can do is change to a colder 9 or 10 series plug. Run synthetic oil in the motor.

other than that, rig up an oil cooler and auxilary fan for additional cooling. YOu can search the net, but have seen people mount CPU tower fans for air flow while riding slow.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

My first dirt bike xr250 1997 by w00dzy

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR250/400
  • Hot  57 replies
Forums
Photo

The beginning of my rebuild 96 xr250r by Madmike84

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

New to me 99 XR 400 by wickedinhere

• Hot  69 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400R Shinko 244 Rear Question by MarxMyth

• Hot  25 replies
Forums
Photo

DIY Dual Sport guide for the XR400, Part II by n16ht5

• Hot  45 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.