oil dripping from breather

5 replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted June 10, 2001 - 12:51 PM

All,

I've got a new 426. It seems to be running great (about 2 hours on it so far) but today about 15 minutes after I turned it off I noticed some oil dripping from the breather connected to the valve cover. Is this normal for a new bike? The first 1.5 hours or so was very slow (my wife was following on an XR-100 so it was mostly 1st/2nd gear just above idle) and today I got to really open it up for the first time. I'm thinking that maybe the rings weren't seated yet and it had more blow-by than normal or something. According to the manual it is ready to race after about 1.5 hours or so of riding, maybe I was TOO gentile and it's not fully broken in yet. Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 10, 2001 - 01:09 PM

That is perfectly normal.
I put a pc of cardboard in the bottom of my truck after a ride to keep it clean.

• MikeOK

Posted June 10, 2001 - 01:58 PM

yep g4 ya got no worries...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • emcdan

Posted June 11, 2001 - 05:28 AM

Very normal...good idea about the cardboard, I've always forget and get a drip or two on my trailer.

• Motofrenzy

Posted June 11, 2001 - 11:13 AM

I was pretty worried after the first couple of rides on my 01 426. The bike didn't seem to have any snap and was lugging a bit for the first 20 min of each ride but always got better. On the third ride the problems dissapeared and have not returned. As a matter of fact my bike seems to get faster every time I ride it..... Could just be me LOL

P.S. If you experience abnormal arm pump and you have not thrown away the stock bars yet do it now! I recomend Tag T2 bars. Its amazing how much of a difference a good set of bars can effect comfort and fatigue.

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 11, 2001 - 12:49 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've only got about 2 hours of time on it so far, and none of it track time (all offroad). I can't WAIT to get to a track and try this thing out for real!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.