Street Conversion

7 replies to this topic
  • dag19

Posted August 08, 2011 - 04:10 PM

Hey guys! I have a few questions on converting my stock '07 WR450 to a super motard. I have the wheels and tires all set up but am about to start work on the electrical end of things. I have been looking at a Baja Designs complete kit but really want to use my stock headlight and stock tail light.

Is there a bulb out there that will fit into the stock headlight fairing that will encompass both high and low beams? Perhaps an HID option that will be plug n play?

In order to meet the state inspection here in Texas I have to have a high/low beam indicator which I think I will get with the Baja Designs compact handlebar switch.

If I were to get a brake switch, will that allow me to use the LED tail light?

I guess the main reason for asking these specific questions is due to not wanting to spend so much coin on the entire kit. If I can buy the specific pieces I need then I will go that route. Maybe there are other threads out there that you could point me to as well. Thank you in advance for all your knowledge!! :eek:

• Derwud

Posted August 08, 2011 - 06:38 PM

The stock head light and tail light will work fine.

I went with the Ryco Motorsports kit cause it uses all the factory front and rear lights. The headlight and tail light both have three wires going to them, but the body harness only has two wires going to them and the third is just plugged. So it's just a matter of applying power to the connector via a switch and you are good to go..

See a write I did here.
07 WR450F D/S kit install

• dag19

Posted August 08, 2011 - 07:28 PM

Awesome! Thank you for the reply. With that 3rd wire that is already in there...I just connect it to the powered switch, correct? That seems easy enough and then just get a brake switch for the tail light.

What about the blinkers? In your write up it looks like you have flush mount in the rear and then a couple of custom blinkers in your handguards, is that correct? I definitely like that set up and may need to replicate it, with your permission of course!! :eek: Where did you get those, or were they part of the kit from Ryco?

Great write up as well. Thanks for sharing!

• miweber929

Posted August 09, 2011 - 03:52 AM

Do a search on here for the Tusk DS kit. Been covered 100 times and is a cheap way to get everything including the handguard turn signal.

Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • carlt828

Posted August 09, 2011 - 05:10 AM

Do a search on here for the Tusk DS kit. Been covered 100 times and is a cheap way to get everything including the handguard turn signal.

Mike

+1 on the Tush kit. I bought my kit off another TT member and saved even more. I wouldn't spend the extra $$ on the BD kit, but that's just me. You can use the stock headlight/tail light with whatever kit you buy. Just don't put on the parts that come with the kit.

I just got my '06 plated here in San Antonio. You don't need turn signals but I'm going to put some on my bike to be safer.

It was an easy process. :eek:

• dag19

Posted August 09, 2011 - 02:31 PM

Oh dang, that does look like a great kit! Cool, thanks for the tip on the brand. What about making the headlight an HID light with a high and low beam? Is that an option? I found a kit from Bikemaster that is $80 and has all the ballasts and is supposed to be plug n play. What bulb would fit into that stock housing for that?

And that is also great news on the blinkers and getting a bike licensed here in TX. I can't wait to get mine complete so I can hit the road!

• miweber929

Posted August 09, 2011 - 08:02 PM

Why HID? Its a small light, no matter what you do it isn't going to spread anything for a beam. It's meant as a marker light only.

Your current light has the ability to do high and low beam, you just need to wire it up.

Mike

• Baja Designs

Posted August 10, 2011 - 12:07 PM

Hey guys! I have a few questions on converting my stock '07 WR450 to a super motard. I have the wheels and tires all set up but am about to start work on the electrical end of things. I have been looking at a Baja Designs complete kit but really want to use my stock headlight and stock tail light.

Is there a bulb out there that will fit into the stock headlight fairing that will encompass both high and low beams? Perhaps an HID option that will be plug n play?

In order to meet the state inspection here in Texas I have to have a high/low beam indicator which I think I will get with the Baja Designs compact handlebar switch.

If I were to get a brake switch, will that allow me to use the LED tail light?

I guess the main reason for asking these specific questions is due to not wanting to spend so much coin on the entire kit. If I can buy the specific pieces I need then I will go that route. Maybe there are other threads out there that you could point me to as well. Thank you in advance for all your knowledge!! :eek:

Hi Dag19 Baja Designs now offers a Dual Sport kit that you can use the stock head light with here is a link to the kit sorry there are no images right now we just wrapped up this kit about a week ago. Let me know if you have any questions
https://www.bajadesi...7-on Wr250/450f

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.