FMF pipe problem

5 replies to this topic
  • verge

Posted June 09, 2001 - 09:41 PM

I've got a 01' YZ426f that i'm trying to install a powercore silentcer onto a powerbomb header. They don't look like they were made for each other. They won't slide together. Two compleatly different ends on them. The power core dosen't look like it fits on the stock header either. Am I missing somthing here?

• motoman393

Posted June 09, 2001 - 11:26 AM

you need to go buy a new gasket that goes inbetween the 2 pipes! I had the same problem when I installed my White Bros R4! For a quick fix I used header wrap and wrapped it 3x around the header and clamped it on and it worked for 3 months or so! The gasket is only like $8

I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• dirtdad

Posted June 09, 2001 - 11:59 AM

I have a powercore IV^2Q and it doesn't use a gasket between the header and silencer! The silencer is a slip-fit over the header and you use the band clamp provided. One time, when I was at band clamp...anyway, hope this info is helpful.

00 YZ426F
01 TT-R125L (my son's)
91 CR125
83 YZ490
74 Hodaka Super Combat(gone but not forgotten!)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • groundhog

Posted June 09, 2001 - 03:13 PM

Just had the same problem last week. I got a piece of exhaust gasket material (like for making your own header gaskets & made a gasket. Perfect fit, the Yamaha gasket is too thick. I also put two raps of plumbers tape under the stock clamp to shim it up.

I called FMF and they said to use high temp silicone and no clamp. Seems like that would be extra work when changing oil (I have a '00 - have to remove the pipe to change the filter.)

Hope this helps.

• verge

Posted June 09, 2001 - 05:27 PM

My problem is that the pie and header and the same daimeter and won't slip over eachother. Thanks for the feedback.

• Steve123

Posted June 09, 2001 - 08:43 PM

May be obvious, but are you sure they shipped you the right pipe? Maybe you got a pipe for one of those yellow or red bikes!?

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.