2006 WR450F missing tailpipe. Still Legal?

5 replies to this topic
  • bearsum

Posted August 07, 2011 - 11:14 AM

I recently bought a 2006 WR450F. I'm the third owner, the second owner said he didn't do any mods. I went to clean the spark arrestor and found the entire tailpipe was removed, not just the inner baffle. Would this bike have needed to be rejetted because of this? If I replace the tailpipe will I need to rejet? Would it still be noise legal without any tailpipe? I'm going for my first trail ride in a week and don't want to get turned away because the bike's too loud.

I'll have to search other posts to find out how to inspect for the grey wire and where the throttle stop is located to inspect. Anything else I should check?

Thanks for any info.

• mikewrf18

Posted August 07, 2011 - 11:31 AM

Are you refering to the pea-shooter insert?

• bearsum

Posted August 07, 2011 - 12:42 PM

The tailpipe is a length of pipe welded to a flange that stacks against the spark arrestor flange between 2 metal gaskets, held by four allen head screws. Only the spark arrestor (flange) and one metal gasket are present.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikewrf18

Posted August 08, 2011 - 05:13 AM

The tailpipe is a length of pipe welded to a flange that stacks against the spark arrestor flange between 2 metal gaskets, held by four allen head screws. Only the spark arrestor (flange) and one metal gasket are present.

I'm not sure how much difference there is between your 06' and my 07', but I replaced that piece with a pro moto billet quiet core insert. It opened up the exhaust and kept the bike quiet, ensuring I wouldn't have any noise issues. And I did not have to rejet for that. I waited until all the free mods were completed to rejet. thumperfaq.com is a great site with picks to walk you through all the different mods. It shows them on a wr250f but still pretty much the same.

• bearsum

Posted August 08, 2011 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the site you recommend.

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 08, 2011 - 07:29 PM

The PMB insert comes in around 93-94 db. Without an insert (just the spark arrestor), its like 97-98 db IIRC and IMO sounds like crap. Basically you're at a YZ pipe sound level with a tinny tone.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.