WR Tranny in a 2010+

Grayracer 513,

Seems like I recall recently your input on the feasibility of installing an '07 WR 450 3/4/5 gearset in a 2010 and later YZ450F. I have tried the search function, but draw a blank. Was it your thought that a tranny from an 07' or later WR 450 could be made to work, possibly even be a drop in..? I recall you saying 3rd gear needed to be replaced due to conflict with the dogs from the YZ tranny, even though the ratio in 3rd of both trannys are very close..? You based this on the fact the trannys from the '06 and later 450 YZ and WR interchange, and the 2010+ "appears" to be identical to the '06-'09 models..? When I gear appropriately to use 1st gear in the tight. rocky stuff, It messes up the gearing for sand washes and other higher speed rides. with the WR 3-4-5 I can keep the close ratio bottom end, gear low enough to hop around in the rocks, and still keep a reasonable rpm in the higher speed stuff...:eek:

The entire parts list for an '06 YZ450 is the same as for the '10 except for one upgraded third gear, so since the WR450 fits one it seems it would fit the other as well.

The thing that I would do is to try the two top gears from the WR. You would then have a first 4 gears almost exactly like the '04 4 speed, plus the significantly taller 5th. You'd need to carefully check the third pinion of the YZ to see whether the lugs fit the WR 4th and 5th, though.