01 YZ426 Won't stay running

11 replies to this topic
  • LemonDrizzle

Posted August 06, 2011 - 07:36 PM

My riding buddy has an 01 YZ426F that won't run for crap. The funny part is that he rode is last weekend, washed it, and parked it until today. We went to ride today and the bike wouldn't run. Both of us now have sore right feet from working on this thing today.

Here's the deal. When we get lucky, it will crank and idle with the choke OFF for about two seconds and die. If you try to turn on the choke or give it any throttle it dies. There was about two times where we got it up over idle in which case it seemed to run ok with the throttle at about 1/4. Then we closed the throttle and it died after about 10 seconds of idling. Then it is a real bear to get started again or even to get it to pop off. A couple of times we checked the plug after beating our feet to death to see if it was wet and it was not so I'm leaning towards lack of fuel, but not really sure since it starts with the choke off and will never start with it on.

We took the carb off twice and cleaned it with carb cleaner and blew it out with compressed air with no change. As best I can tell air and carb cleaner were coming out where they should have been so I don't think any passages were blocked. Also, we checked for water in the gas by draining some gas into a clear cup and letting it sit to see if any water droplets formed in the bottom. No water. Tried fiddling with the mixture screw some and that didn't seem to do much either.

Like I said, this happened very suddenly, and at the moment I'm not sure what to check next. I have been looking through posts for about an hour now and most seem to point to a dirty carb but after cleaning it two times I'm starting to look for something else.

Sorry for being so long winded, but I was just trying to get as much info in here as I could.

• hende

Posted August 06, 2011 - 09:13 PM

My riding buddy has an 01 YZ426F that won't run for crap. The funny part is that he rode is last weekend, washed it, and parked it until today. We went to ride today and the bike wouldn't run. Both of us now have sore right feet from working on this thing today.

Here's the deal. When we get lucky, it will crank and idle with the choke OFF for about two seconds and die. If you try to turn on the choke or give it any throttle it dies. There was about two times where we got it up over idle in which case it seemed to run ok with the throttle at about 1/4. Then we closed the throttle and it died after about 10 seconds of idling. Then it is a real bear to get started again or even to get it to pop off. A couple of times we checked the plug after beating our feet to death to see if it was wet and it was not so I'm leaning towards lack of fuel, but not really sure since it starts with the choke off and will never start with it on.

We took the carb off twice and cleaned it with carb cleaner and blew it out with compressed air with no change. As best I can tell air and carb cleaner were coming out where they should have been so I don't think any passages were blocked. Also, we checked for water in the gas by draining some gas into a clear cup and letting it sit to see if any water droplets formed in the bottom. No water. Tried fiddling with the mixture screw some and that didn't seem to do much either.

Like I said, this happened very suddenly, and at the moment I'm not sure what to check next. I have been looking through posts for about an hour now and most seem to point to a dirty carb but after cleaning it two times I'm starting to look for something else.

Sorry for being so long winded, but I was just trying to get as much info in here as I could.

take off the gas cap and try it. if it runs your vent is pluged. Next check the pilot screw is turned out about 1.5 to 2 turns.. I just went thru this same thing with my bike this week lol.. check my thread for what others said to me

• jasen 2007

Posted August 07, 2011 - 05:20 AM

I have seen water in the fuel due to pressure washing, especially around the gas cap. Drain the fuel tank and the carb. See where things go from there.

• LemonDrizzle

Posted August 07, 2011 - 06:39 AM

take off the gas cap and try it. if it runs your vent is pluged. Next check the pilot screw is turned out about 1.5 to 2 turns.. I just went thru this same thing with my bike this week lol.. check my thread for what others said to me

We checked the gas cap yesterday while we were working on it and it seems to be fine. Also, we have tried setting the mixture screw at many different places and nothing seemed to help. It only made things worse.

I have seen water in the fuel due to pressure washing, especially around the gas cap. Drain the fuel tank and the carb. See where things go from there.

Checked the gas too. Seemed ok. He didn't pressure wash the bike, he just used a hose. May change the gas anyways though. Carb has been cleaned twice with no luck. Probably going to clean it again today.

• Stinger1133

Posted August 07, 2011 - 11:34 AM

Did you ride through some deep water where the valve cover vent tube could have maybe sucked up some water ? Just a thought. Or even maybe water go into the exhaust when you were cleaning the bike.

• Theeebalz

Posted August 07, 2011 - 11:45 AM

sounds like it's running too rich? orr maybe a vaccum leak somewhere?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stinger1133

Posted August 07, 2011 - 11:59 AM

Did you check the accelerator pump diaphram for damage when you took the carb apart ?

• LemonDrizzle

Posted August 07, 2011 - 12:28 PM

Well......after working on the bike for most of the weekend, we found the problem. Put a new plug in the bike and it runs like a champ. Dooooh!!!!:worthy::eek::smirk::banana::lol:

• Theeebalz

Posted August 07, 2011 - 03:14 PM

Well......after working on the bike for most of the weekend, we found the problem. Put a new plug in the bike and it runs like a champ. Dooooh!!!!:banana::eek::worthy::devil::lol:

:smirk: you know whats worse when it wont start and you scream and curse at it for ever and realise the gas was off...

• b3hr3ns

Posted August 09, 2011 - 08:13 PM

:eek: you know whats worse when it wont start and you scream and curse at it for ever and realise the gas was off...

Lol or an idiot on a kawi kicks forever only to find out after 15 minutes that the kill switch was set to off :smirk:

• Ricks426

Posted August 11, 2011 - 07:44 AM

Well......after working on the bike for most of the weekend, we found the problem. Put a new plug in the bike and it runs like a champ. Dooooh!!!!:worthy::eek::smirk::devil::lol:

When I first got my bike in 2001, (YZ426F) I did the exact same thing, always plug the holes in the side panels and exhaust. Never spray water at the carb boot and the back of the seat where water could get into the air filter. Run the bike for 5-10 minutes after washing it and you will never have a problem. I learned this the hard way also!!!!:banana:

• grayracer513

Posted August 11, 2011 - 09:06 AM

Run the bike for 5-10 minutes after washing it and you will never have a problem.

It's also a good idea when doing this to raise the idle and open the hot start for 30 seconds or so to draw off any water that may have collected in that bore. This is especially important for any 400/426 with a thumb lever conversion kit on the hot start. Failure to do this can result in a frozen plunger.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.