HUGE fuel tanks for the WR450's...

8 replies to this topic
  • ddialogue

Posted September 08, 2003 - 05:02 AM

These photos and links came across the WR450 mailing list.

Tank photo 1
Tank photo 2

The tank is 28-liters (7.4 US gallons) with a 25-liter version (6.6 US gallons) due to go into production at the end of this month. Now, if they'd only produce a 15-liter version (4 US gallons.) Here are the links to the Australian race team they were developed for:

Australian Safari
Australian Safari Yamaha link

Sorry, IMS. For WR owners, your 3.1 gallon model is LAME!! :)

• live_to_ride

Posted September 08, 2003 - 07:24 PM

You would need to change your fork springs half way through the ride! A 3 gallon tank would be nice if it was not an ims.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 08, 2003 - 08:21 PM

Wow!!! That one's new to me....

Yep, IMS could've done a better job than their 3.1 gallon...... I agree..

thanks for the photos...

• MiniMadMan50

Posted September 08, 2003 - 10:08 PM

Man that's ridiculous. 7 gallons of gas is an extra 70 pounds. That thing would handle like a gull wing! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • INJURY_69

Posted September 13, 2003 - 02:51 AM

Hey Fellas...

What's "wrong" with IMS? I am thinkin about pickin one up.

• INJURY_69

Posted September 13, 2003 - 02:06 PM

• yamahasocal450

Posted September 13, 2003 - 02:27 PM

the petcock is right over the header ... tsss tsss tsss BOOOOOM that is if something goes wrong in a crash... :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 14, 2003 - 06:42 AM

I do not understand why a 4 gallon design was not used and a short stop for refueling. You would be way faster than carrying 70lbs of fuel at the start! I want a 4 gallon version! what are these guys at IMS thinking? :)

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted September 14, 2003 - 10:43 AM

They probably didn't use a 4G because of access to pits (or lack thereof) and sometimes there are rules about carrying gas (like you're not allowed to carry extra on a belt).
Seven gallons might be a bit much. The most I've had to carry was 5.0 IMS with 2 gallons on a belt, but that turned out to be way overkill.

? Question - would anyone here buy a 6.0 imported from Aus. for their 450?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.