suggestions on polishing aluminum...

6 replies to this topic
  • motoman393

Posted June 08, 2001 - 06:20 PM

My aluminum frame guards and WB R4 exhaust are starting to look nasty...and I was wondering if there are any tricks to polishing them? Do you use emory cloth, 600-1200 grit wet sandpaper, acid wash, etc? Since it is raining cats and dogs here in the Houston area and I cant ride this weekend I need to "baby" my YZ some LOL! I would appreciate any comments/suggestions you have! Thanks,

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 08, 2001 - 06:30 PM

Try SCOTCHBRITE
it is a material close to the same as a kitchen scrub pad.
You can get it at any body shop supply store.
Not Maico or earl schibe but the actual supply store.
They sell different "grits" kinda like steel wool but sturdier and lasts a long time.
May even be able to get it at a hardware store!
works pretty good on spokes and wheels too.
I always buff down my frame with it b4 i paint it .
$.02
G4
How is that pipe Garret?
Give it a rub with the SB too doesn't last long but sure looks sweet right after it is done and b4 you get it red hot!
------------------
NOPE..........BOY.......
That's not thunder ridin' your BUTT .........
It's a whole Damn HURRICANE!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by g4racing (edited 06-08-2001).]

• mat

Posted June 08, 2001 - 06:46 PM

i know its not gonna help your question but one of the cheap ways i "baby" my bikes is i go to the hardware store and for 2.00 get a roll of aluminum duck tape. Its like aluminum cut as thick as foil but comes on a roll with adhesive. Its a cheap form of frame gaurds but if applied carefully enough with a hair dryer it can look pretty trick and lasts bout 6months before it needs reapplied

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Amador

Posted June 09, 2001 - 05:34 AM

Hey motoman!

go to any car parts store and pick up a jar of Mother's metal & aluminum polish. The stuff is incredible!!! I rubed down my frame guards and pipe and I literally could see my reflection in them. It's about 5 bucks and takes about 10 minuets to do. Stop waseting time! Go,go,go!!! BTW- I like you pics that are posted!!

• motoman393

Posted June 09, 2001 - 06:19 AM

G4,
I have tried scotchbrite and they work fairly well but take awhile and when used w/wd40 it works even better!

Mat,
I have used that aluminum tape method on my old XR's and it works rather well. I was given frames guards(for free) from a friend who didnt need them...so I run them instead of duct tape!

Amador,
That sounds good I think I will go get a jar of that stuff today! It is flooded in my neck of the woods so I may have to wait a couple of days (gotta love Hurricane season in TX)

Thanks everyone for suggestions,

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• hodaphile

Posted June 11, 2001 - 11:22 AM

You can also use the aluminum polish and different steel wool to polish as well. If it is really chewed, use a coaser one. I use the super-fine and it gives a very polished polished.

DO NOT USE ONLY POLISHED ALUMINUM!!!! Even aluminum polish will mar machine polishing. I didn't think and use a bit of polish on the swingarm of my quad. It looked like a mirror before, now it's a bit frosted.
stupid, stupid, stupid.....

------------------
Rich aka "hodaphile"
'96 KTM 300 EXC (D/S)
'87 Suzuki LT250R Glamis pimp machine- Chrome!
Too many Hodakas to count
http://communities.m...hsmidlifecrisis

• bjscheel

Posted June 11, 2001 - 11:43 AM

I use a product called jewlers rouge. It comes three colors green white and red green being the best its a medium grit. I have a semi truck with over 6.000 dollars in polished wheels to maintain you don't need to rub a whole lot like you do with mothers and other brands. I use it on my yzf polished swing arm it takes about five minutes to do the swing arm and the same for my pollished fork tubes. It leaves a mirror finnish and last about a month or so. You can find it in any truck stop.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.