2011 yz450f setup (opinions needed)

16 replies to this topic
  • Kawirider37

Posted August 04, 2011 - 04:39 PM

I've only ridden my 2011 yz450f a few times. I'm coming off a 2010 rmz-450. I realize seat time and a different front tire will help with feeling better on the bike. I wanted to see what kind of responses I get for fixing a few issues I'm having with the front forks.

weight 178lbs (in my birthday suite)
novice, MX only. hardpack.

The first couple of rides I left the bike stock just to get the feel of things. I set the sag to 102mm.

Firt impression: the front wheel knifed in, forks seem to dive excessivly, low end power/throttle was abrupt, rear wheel broke loose a lot. (same things a lot of others are reporting)

Changes I've made: I triedsetting the sag to 105mm then to 108 and finaly 112mm. I noticed the softer the sag the less the front seemed to knife. I noticed that any softer than 108 and the front end started to push on berm turns and the front would crawl out on rutts. Stiffened the front forks three clicks and turned the fork rebound in 1 click. 2 clicks on the rebound seem to make the front turn a little too fast for my liking. I'm not up to my normal speed yet.

After I made these changes the bike was manageable but not by any means nice to ride. The front wheel still feels vague and lacks bite. It still tends to dive while braking and seems to float while excelling.

I installed a Suspension Direct rear link and rest the sag to 102mm. The front wheel still knifed in on me so I went softer on the sag. I settled at 105mm. I played with the clickers but never really got any better results.

I got ahold of a GYTR tuner and layed with the mapping. I ended up with Yamaha's map for gradual throttle response, also called their slippery map.

After the link and tuner were used I found the front tire is still prone to slipping out but not really knifing. The bike gets into rutts just fine but feels real busy and if I'm not riding aggressive will pop out. I notice on flat turns the front seems to float. I tried turing the rebound in but it made the front turn turn too fast. I did like the power delivery better after the new map was installed. It didn't tire me out as fast was easier tomanage if or when I messed up.

So my next step is to swap out the front tire. I don't think it will fix much but I've never been a fan of the stock D742FA. If anything I'm hoping for a little bit more traction.

One thing I haven't tried is stiffening the sag past 102mm. I though sense the knifing seem to be caused by too much weight on the front wheel, that it wasn't really worth it to try. Maybe I should try 102-90mm and see what the results are. Might just put enough weight on the front to give me that bite I'm looking for. If anyone has any suggestions please chime in....

• steve_97060

Posted August 04, 2011 - 04:59 PM

I have the ride engineering link, sag is set at 104 and I raised the forks 4mm, swapped front tires and it is much more stable now. doesn't knife or feel like the front end wants to skate anymore, the front tire is garbage, get rid of it..

I am currently running the marmont map, but it falls off too much at the top end so I am thinking of going back to the MXA hard pack map..

• dc182

Posted August 06, 2011 - 04:24 PM

The front stock tire doesn't have much bite. Switch it out. Also, you mention that the front end knifes on you. If you set your sag at 90-102mm it will get worst. I think you might be confused on how sag works. You are putting more weight on the front by doing this. Try 100mm and work your way up gradually until you find the sweet spot. I dont run a link but found that i like 108-110mm of sag. I still want to try the link but haven't gotten around to buy one.

• Kawirider37

Posted August 07, 2011 - 01:12 AM

So tonight was another night of testing. I swapped the front tire out for a MX51. It made a noticeable difference, but didn't really fix anything. I started the night out at 99-100mm of sag and as the night progressed I slowly ended up back at 108-109mm. I kept making small adjustments here and there. I found the softer sag made the front more manageable but added to the light front wheel feel. Also the front wheel was hard to control unless I really got aggressive with it. it just would not stay planted. I think I'm gonna try raising the forks up in the clamps a few mm's. Thanks for the input guys. Ill report back if or when I get this bike dialed in. Any other tips please don't hesitate to post or even pm me if you want..

Edited by jophis37, August 07, 2011 - 09:36 PM.

• tjg53

Posted August 07, 2011 - 07:22 AM

Turning your rebound in will make it feel softer , and the fork will dive more. Try going out , one or two clicks from were you had it , and see how it feels. That will keep the forks up more.

• Quernix

Posted August 07, 2011 - 10:16 AM

Excessive sag doesn't feel right to me. I run the fork caps 2mm in the clamps and 30/100mm of sag. Try opening the high speed compression!

My current set up for hard pack: 220lbs rider (w/o gear), intermediate vet, stock 2011 valving:
Fork: 360ccm oil, spring: 5.0 N/mm
Reb: 10
Comp: 10
Shock: Spring: 60N/mm, sag: 30/100
LSComp: 10
HSComp: 1,75
Reb: 11

• Kawirider37

Posted August 07, 2011 - 09:50 PM

Went to a different track today: Dry, hardpack with a layer of sand over the top. Made for a bumpy slippery surface. Mostly bermed turns. The bike felt night and day from my last ride. I had a friend that just happens to have a 2010 yami ride my bike and give me his opinion on the current setup. He said the only change he would make was to the handle bars. He said they seem too close to his body, keeping him from getting over the front plate. So I tried rolling the bars forward a bit. I did notice a difference. I felt the front seemed to be tucked more under me and more responsive to my input as opposed to me havng to respond constantly to its input.
I'm gonna take a day or two off from riding to rest up.
Thanks again guys.

Quernix: Is 360ccm the stock oil amount or did you add/take away. I don't have my manual with me to verify.

Other than your sag and 1 click on the rear rebound my setting match yours. Good to know I'm not too far off. Maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel after all...

• Quernix

Posted August 07, 2011 - 10:04 PM

Stock oil level is 355cc - I have added 5ccm to each leg.
I have gone long ways with the clickers and returned to this very close to stock set-up with less HScomp.
However, I still believe I will be able to dial the bike in with the clickers. If anything I would revalve for a little bit more plushness while keeping the overall characteristics.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boostpig

Posted August 08, 2011 - 07:19 PM

jophis 37 i am in your exact boots, the bike is allways wanting to jump out of ruts!!
What width tyre guys 80 or 90? i bought the bike with a metzler 6day front dont think this is helping.
Are most of you running 30mm sag in the front forks?
I run 100mm sag the bike feels like its squatting a fair bit but i am, 90kg though.
Has anyone done the footpeg mount mod to lower the pegs how much does it lower them buy? cheers

• CaptainKnobby

Posted August 08, 2011 - 10:03 PM

jophis 37 i am in your exact boots, the bike is allways wanting to jump out of ruts!!
What width tyre guys 80 or 90? i bought the bike with a metzler 6day front dont think this is helping.
I run 100mm sag the bike feels like its squatting a fair bit but i am, 90kg though.
Has anyone done the footpeg mount mod to lower the pegs how much does it lower them buy? cheers

I had to start riding further up on the seat in order to get the front tire to bite down. Like when I approach a turn ..... I scoot way up on the seat and lean my upper body into the bars and the front stays planted pretty good.

BTW I also had my forks redone with a DDT kit which helped the front tremendously.

• Boostpig

Posted August 12, 2011 - 12:50 PM

anyone?

• Mick17

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:25 AM

Air pressure made a big difference on how my bike handles, along with where the rear wheel is in the swingarm.

• Kawirider37

Posted August 15, 2011 - 02:14 AM

Air pressure made a big difference on how my bike handles, along with where the rear wheel is in the swingarm.

Can you elaborate, e.g., 12 psi and rear wheel closer to the shock or further away.

I think I'm close. I wouldn't say the bike is dialed in but it diffiniatly better and by no means terrible anymore.

• Mick17

Posted August 15, 2011 - 04:54 AM

I run 10.5 psi and closer to the shock

• YamaLink

Posted August 15, 2011 - 01:00 PM

Sounds like you've done all the "right" things; now it's time to pitch the front tire and play with psi. Where is your handlebar positioning?

• aja342

Posted August 15, 2011 - 04:09 PM

Added a YamaLink, raised the forks to 6mm above the clamps and run the sag at 102-105mm. Just doing this made a HUGE difference. Much better holding ruts and still stable at the shorter tracks around my area.

I have 13mm off-set axle blocks to go in once I pick up a new chain. I think after dropping the radiators, tires, and trimming the seat I'll be done with "handling" mods. At 5'7" I have to stretch to touch the ground so that has kind of influenced the direction I’ve taken...the better handling is a side effect of me being short lol.

Edited by aja342, August 15, 2011 - 04:27 PM.

• Kawirider37

Posted August 15, 2011 - 08:08 PM

Sounds like you've done all the "right" things; now it's time to pitch the front tire and play with psi. Where is your handlebar positioning?

as soon as the MX51 wears out I'm gonna try either a MX31 or a bridgstone. Not sure which one though. it's a toss up between the 203-403-and 603.

My handlebars are in the stock holes in the clamps but I rotated them away from me one mark. They were installed at the zero mark now they're at the 1. This helped open up the bike a bit. I didn't realize how cramped it was. I still feel like the front rides too high in the stroke but the more aggressive I am the less it's an issue. Also the front feels a little soft like I'm using the whole stroke yet when I over shot a 80 ft table I didn't bottom the front just the rear. Gear I landed just right huh?

I'm still trying to figure out how too melow down the the throttle. The power is fine just very abrupt. A little too responsive for my taste. Using the GYTR tuner, I've tried the smooth map and also the slippery map that is posted on Yamahas' site. I think I'll try the less hit map next. After all that's more of what I'm shooting for. Wednesday is my next ride day. I'll keep you guys posted...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.