What to do next? 06 yz450f

6 replies to this topic
  • Randal McSandal

Posted August 04, 2011 - 06:17 AM

Bought this bike a few months ago, and really enjoy riding it. So far I've changed the oil (twice :eek: ) put new tires on (front & rear), changed the air filter, new chain, and rode it a lot!

I sold my z28 so now it's time to give the bike some lovin, not sure what to do next.. I know it couldn't hurt to change the spark plug & check the valves.. and is it worth sending my suspension off to be set to my riding style/weight?
Any recommendations are helpful. Thanks!

Posted Image

• woods-rider

Posted August 04, 2011 - 06:35 AM

Check/replace bearings as needed. Pay special attention to the wheel, linkage and steering head bearings as these are often overlooked. Checking the valves would be a good idea as well as checking the oil screen.

• YamaLink

Posted August 04, 2011 - 07:24 AM

Get it properly sprung for your weight. And sending it off is a good idea, too, if the stock boingers and proper spring rate aren't doing the job for your style of riding and local terrain.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Randal McSandal

Posted August 04, 2011 - 09:05 AM

Check/replace bearings as needed. Pay special attention to the wheel, linkage and steering head bearings as these are often overlooked. Checking the valves would be a good idea as well as checking the oil screen.

What exactly would a bad bearing look like? And could I order kits or do I need to buy them individually?

Get it properly sprung for your weight. And sending it off is a good idea, too, if the stock boingers and proper spring rate aren't doing the job for your style of riding and local terrain.

I need to adjust the sag, it sits pretty low for me.. I've also heard to move the front forks 5mm up.

• Hurricane

Posted August 04, 2011 - 10:20 AM

What exactly would a bad bearing look like? And could I order kits or do I need to buy them individually?

A bad bearing will have play in it, like side to side movement if your front wheel bearings are going out for example. Really just take apart the swingarm, linkage, and steering head and clean and regrease. This should be done once a year anyway depending on how much your ride.

I need to adjust the sag, it sits pretty low for me.. I've also heard to move the front forks 5mm up.

For starters set your sag, that is critical on how your bike will perform. Then after that decide if it needs work. If it is not turning well then you can move your forks up in the clamps. This helps it in the tighter turns but can sacrifice high speed stability. I ride primarily in the woods so I have mine moved up which really helps in the tight stuff. Now I didn't see where you mentioned your wieght or riding style so I'm not sure if the stock springs will work for you or not. I found the stock suspension to be very good and very tunable.:eek:

• Octanee

Posted August 07, 2011 - 04:01 PM

with my bike i just ordered some new valve springs for the forks, they say it makes a "night and day" difference, they start out a bit softer then get stiffer and get stiffer then the stock ones to help prevent bottoming out, they only cost me about 40 bucks, http://cgi.ebay.ca/w...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT thats them, and i would say thats probably the cheapest way to make a difference in your suspension, but other then that, play with the rear shock, and combination of how stiff, my bike i like it nice and slow, it prevents a kick up on you on some stuff, then from that just decide if you like a stiffer ride or a smoother one,

• grayracer513

Posted August 07, 2011 - 08:16 PM

Those would be the inner chamber springs (ICS), also called compression valve free piston springs. While they will have some effect on the overall feel of fork, they will not live up to their claims. The ICS springs should be used as a tuning element in concert with other valving changes, and are important in that role, but will not make a "night and day" difference, as advertised.

The units illustrated are also not from KYB forks.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.