Pacific Northwest BRP?

6 replies to this topic
  • mcdrz

Posted September 07, 2003 - 12:52 PM

Does anyone ride a BRP in the pacific northwest in the tight, technical, and muddy trails? Does anyone ride one for OMRA Grand Prix's? OMRA Cross Country? Is a BRP too heavy/big for this use?

• Carlisle1972

Posted September 07, 2003 - 01:22 PM

I wiegh 165 lbs and ride a pig, on friday I took it to an area here in Colorado the trail was very steep, very tight switch backs winding down, 10" rain ruts, and very large 2 foot rocks every where. I have ridden the 5 miles of hell on a scale of 1 - 10 fmoh being a 10 fridays ride was about 8 or 9 and the pig was great. The wieght isnt too much at all I think it acually helps in alot of sections I came off a wr250f and it is easier to ride in the woods for me than the 250, the power is very smooth and in all these conditions even mud the pig just tracks through everything where the wr250 bounced and deflected off everything. The 650R has a bad reputation for being heavy, yes it is heavy but the wieght isn't very noticeable at all once you get going, I know you were looking for specific info on riding areas but thats my two cents worth

• bigtom17

Posted September 07, 2003 - 04:53 PM

I do, 6'6" 260. Size and weight not a concern. But then I am a big one also. This bike has so much power it takes care of its weight problem anyway. All my buddys ride nimble 2-stroke 250's. I usually lead if that means anything either that or send the dummy up first and see what happens. I highly recommend the EBQS pumper carb. I think we dump our bikes more often in rocky terrain than those in the desert. Its not an issue, if you can handle the power than get it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcdrz

Posted September 07, 2003 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for the info. I am a novice to intermediate rider and am riding the OMRA races for fun in the 30+ classes on a KTM300EXC and I'm not having as much fun as I did on a 4 stroke. This bike takes alot of work and its seat is painful after a day of riding (I feel like I've been beat with a 235 pound stick). I got rid of my XR400 to get the KTM ("ready to race") and my fun/comfort factor went away. :) I am thinking of going back to the 400 or to a BRP. Power isn't a factor with the BRP, but need $$ to make the ponies with the 400.(Quite frankly in our area the BRP can be found cheaper) I thought that if I later decided to do some dual sport the BRP would be more suitable. BTW I'm 5'09" 220 #

• Carlisle1972

Posted September 08, 2003 - 12:11 PM

Buy a pig dont let what other say lean you away, they got a bad rap from the guys who work at the magazine companies and ride and race for a living, I think they have the Barbie Doll syndrom when it comes to bikes. Remember these are the guys who are able to take the factory bikes out and test them, thats what they are comparing every bike to, to them a 550 cc 200 lb 4 stroke enduro bike would be a 10 all others fall short in some way. When the XR650 came out in 2000 they wanted it to be lighter than the already proven wr400, it wasnt on a scale so lets say its heavy, and damage the reputation of a BRP before it even hits the showroom floor. So from then on everyone thinks they are tanks, they are in the tank catagory for being undestructible but not in wieght, the wieght and power make this bike fun and easy to ride anywhere even tight goat trails you just point it up a set of rocks get situated and ride up unlike other bikes you get set with your wieght using lots of body english, lots of clutch abuse and throttle adjustment. Xr just chuggs straight up you could almost go up with your right hand on the throttle and your left hand holding a barley pop, WHICH IS NOT OK ONLY USED FOR AN ANALAGY, they just cruise effortlessly over and through everything. For only owning one bike the pig is a great do it all choice, even for DSing. Keep us posted on what you buy! Good luck

• mcdrz

Posted September 08, 2003 - 05:38 PM

I guess that's what I'm looking for. I attempted to do a lot of research before I went to the KTM 300. When you're listening to the media/magazines it is great. I guess for a slow old guy I was expecting something quite different. They stated that it had lots of torque. "The 2-stroke most like a four stroke in power/torque with an up side of being 40 pounds lighter" and the bonus of "good top end when you rev it." :) A flywheel weight and gearing change later, it still vibrates like a mother and doesn't tractor like I want it to. :D The only thing that I agree with in the articles is that the seat sucks. :D I look forward to finishing the year while trying to work with it. However, I think I'm really looking forward the day when I sell it to someone that can maybe appreciate it more than I do. The KTM is a nice bike from lots of stand points. Its like a finely appointed EURO sedan, the problem is I think I enjoyed my 57'chevy better. :D

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 14, 2003 - 08:14 PM

I have owned an XR650R since the day they hit the showroom floor in 2000. I mean that literaly. I live in Washington state and we spend a good four or five months out of the year riding tight mountain trails. The bike will do everything from sand dunes, rocks and switch backs. You do have to learn to let the power of the bike do the work for you. It also helps to raise the forks an inch or so for tight turning. A stabilizer works nice in the sand and rocks but it doesn't absolutely need it since it is a very stable bike. I put a hotcam in after about three years because I became too accustomed to the power and felt I needed more. The power is not as smooth with the cam but definately has more grunt everywhere. The weight is the only thing I don't like and that only when I dump it. When you have to pick it up a few times it wears on you. The more you ride it the less you dump it. :)

Buy one and have fun.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.