help me choose a handlebar bend.

22 replies to this topic
  • CRF100biker

Posted August 02, 2011 - 06:33 PM

i ride a '98 yz400f. i want to replace the handlebars with some renthal 7/8" bars, however can't decide on a bend. the only thing i would change with the stock bars is maybe 1/8"-1/4" rise at the most. which bend should i be looking at? i am 6'1" if that helps.

also, does anyone know if the renthal 7/8" bars are a bit wider than stock yz400f bars? i'm definitely open to a little more width too.

• AJMAG247

Posted August 02, 2011 - 06:42 PM

the windham bend would be perfect for you (9718)

• DPW

Posted August 02, 2011 - 07:12 PM

windham protapers are 1 1/8"

sticking with 7/8" my pick would be Renthal Jimmy Button Bend...

• AJMAG247

Posted August 02, 2011 - 07:21 PM

The renthal windham bend...

• DPW

Posted August 03, 2011 - 02:20 AM

The renthal windham bend...

ok...sorry didn't realize Renthal had a windham bend too, makes sense now

• YamaLink

Posted August 03, 2011 - 06:19 AM

And another good option is called the RM High, I believe.

• grayracer513

Posted August 03, 2011 - 07:23 AM

And another good option is called the RM High, I believe.

Pro Taper calls the Windham bend an equivalent to the "RM Mid". Bends and methods of measuring them vary a bit from one supplier to another, so it wouldn't surprise be if one man's RM high was the same as another's mid.

The thing that I particularly like about the Windham is that it not only raises the grip position, it moves it forward a good way, too, which makes standing for long periods of time much more relaxing. They're my favorite so far, and I'm not really tall at all, either.

• steven03

Posted August 03, 2011 - 08:13 AM

CR High bend, that is the only bend bar I use on all of my bikes.

• CRF100biker

Posted August 03, 2011 - 02:01 PM

cool, thanks, i'll give it a shot.

i wish mx bar companies would get their stuff straight and list all the specs of their bars. in the bmx world they have no problem listing the rise, width, upsweep, backsweep and even crossbar length! why can't the mx people do the same? life's great mysteries...

edit-ah, nevermind, i found the bar specs page on their site. doh'.

• primerib108

Posted August 04, 2011 - 06:12 AM

CR High bend, that is the only bend bar I use on all of my bikes.

Those are good bars.....I found them a little too high by the smallest of margins. The Protaper Henry/Reed is set-up the same but slightly lower.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 04, 2011 - 08:39 AM

The thing I didn't like about the Henry/Reed bend is that they sit too far back and don't allow me to stand in a relaxed position with good control.

• tech24

Posted August 04, 2011 - 11:39 AM

I've been using cr-hi, they are good bend but too much pullback, I'll go with windham on my next bars.

• CRF100biker

Posted August 04, 2011 - 01:24 PM

well, for better comparison purposes, does anyone know the dimensions of stock 1998 yz400f bars? i'd rather this not be like my bmx bike where i had to go through about $400 in bars to find what worked best for me.

• grayracer513

Posted August 04, 2011 - 01:40 PM

Somewhat like the Pro Taper Contour "YZ Low", (or mid) bend. About 75mm rise and fairly straight.

• primerib108

Posted August 05, 2011 - 12:19 PM

The thing I didn't like about the Henry/Reed bend is that they sit too far back and don't allow me to stand in a relaxed position with good control.

Positive offset by 1.5 notches takes care of that :eek: I have shorter arms than most though.

Another thing about the protaper contours is that they are incredibly strong!

• DBMX 925

Posted August 05, 2011 - 02:16 PM

I find the CR Highs sweep to be to exaggerated, look for a less sever bend. IMHO

• grayracer513

Posted August 05, 2011 - 03:17 PM

Positive offset by 1.5 notches takes care of that :eek:

If by that you mean rolling the bars forward in the clamps, not for me. I like the tops of the bars flat, and rolling them forward tilts the ends up. Looks goofy, feels goofier.

• primerib108

Posted August 05, 2011 - 10:28 PM

If by that you mean rolling the bars forward in the clamps, not for me. I like the tops of the bars flat, and rolling them forward tilts the ends up. Looks goofy, feels goofier.

To each their own but valid point for your style of riding. Bar bends are like tire preferences and oil recommendations........you are going to get a lot of feedback one way or another.

• ss55539

Posted August 22, 2012 - 05:45 AM

ive been experiencing wrist/hand soreness. not really arm pump. i can run 20 laps no prob on the quad but after about 5 laps on the yz my wrists are killing me. will the windham bend take some of the pressure off?

• cadesdad

Posted August 30, 2012 - 05:55 AM

ive been experiencing wrist/hand soreness. not really arm pump. i can run 20 laps no prob on the quad but after about 5 laps on the yz my wrists are killing me. will the windham bend take some of the pressure off?

While I was trying to set my 06 up for better cornering, I followed everyone's advice about getting a taller handlebar. I had already installed taller bar risers so I didn't go with the tallest bar (Windham) instead I chose the one that was the flattest (least amount of sweep) which is the "Factory Suzuki/KTM" EVO. The FS/KTM bend is only 7mm lower but is 6mm flatter. My experience is that it was one of the best mods for improving the cornering on my 06, but it had a tremendous comfort improvement on my wrists, especially the one that had been broken from my racing days. I like this bar so much that I just installed it on my 08. So yes, the right bar will definitely improve your comfort/performance by helping you get into the correct body position and taking stress off certain parts of your body.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.