slip on exhaust, re-jetting?

6 replies to this topic
  • 4strokerf

Posted August 02, 2011 - 03:41 PM

title says it all! if i put a slip on exhaust on my wr450f, do i have to re-jet.

• William1

Posted August 02, 2011 - 04:52 PM

Probably, depends on the current jetting. Chances are, a slip on will only make the bike noisy and not faster.

• The Hopper Show

Posted August 02, 2011 - 05:07 PM

is the bike 100% stock? then yes. you will just make a lean bike leaner.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZPaGuy

Posted August 02, 2011 - 06:04 PM

I put a Lexx on my YZ450 and after two rides I checked my spark plug. It was showing lean so I went up to a 165 main. Put a new plug in and check it after a ride? That was my method anyway.

• 4strokerf

Posted August 03, 2011 - 07:16 PM

the bike is an '04 and 100% stock with the exception of the dealer installed gytr de-restriction kit meaning (non-california). if anyone knows about that kit, what if i just took out the gytr exhaust insert and ran the bike like that. would the engine run lean? i guess what im trying to get at is i want that gytr insert out OR nicer sounding exhaust without re-jetting. possible? i have a buddy who races moto and he said if i took that insert out it wont hurt anything but the dealer says the opposite, i could burn out the exhaust or burn a valve.

• miweber929

Posted August 04, 2011 - 04:01 AM

the bike is an '04 and 100% stock with the exception of the dealer installed gytr de-restriction kit meaning (non-california). if anyone knows about that kit, what if i just took out the gytr exhaust insert and ran the bike like that. would the engine run lean? i guess what im trying to get at is i want that gytr insert out OR nicer sounding exhaust without re-jetting. possible? i have a buddy who races moto and he said if i took that insert out it wont hurt anything but the dealer says the opposite, i could burn out the exhaust or burn a valve.

There is no right or wrong answer as every bike and exhaust is slightly different. And "running" and "running well" are 2 different things that have 2 different answers.

Will you bike run? Yes. Will it run well? Maybe. Will it burn down? More than likely not. Should you be ready and willing to rejet as your bike will run much better and much cooler jetted properly? Yes! Will you bike, you riding partners and the bike gods thank you for proper jetting? 100% yes.

Jetting is not rocket science, black magic or voodoo. It's a science with quite a bit of into on this forum to do it right and get you in the ball park. There have been quite a few good things written about the Lexx slipon and I am pretty fond of my Q2 or the Q4's now; just do everyone a favor and run a quiet slipon instead of a loud ass baffle-less stock pipe.

Quiet pipes save rides.

Mike

• 4strokerf

Posted August 04, 2011 - 06:16 PM

Thanks!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.