To Hot Cam or not to hot cam?

23 replies to this topic
  • sid_125_04

Posted August 01, 2011 - 05:23 PM

To the point, i have a a 2001 426f and i want this stinking decomp lever in the dumpster! Going on a long labor day ride and want it gone by then do i just get the exhaust or get both and be done with it? Bear in mind after the ride labor day the bike is getting tore down and gone threw and i mean completely gone threw!

• gscx

Posted August 01, 2011 - 05:27 PM

Take some time to get used to it. With the manual decomp you get such a good kick that it will start up the first kick unless something is wrong with the bike.

• sid_125_04

Posted August 01, 2011 - 05:37 PM

oh i can start the bike just fine it starts second or first kick even cold i have the jetting set and working very well i just want quicker starts for track riding and rid of it.

• grayracer513

Posted August 01, 2011 - 05:45 PM

Go with the HC exhaust cam at least. There's absolutely no reason not to.

• sid_125_04

Posted August 01, 2011 - 05:50 PM

Another question how much does the intake help it power throughout? is it even worth the money?

• sid_125_04

Posted August 01, 2011 - 06:09 PM

Another question how much does the intake help it power throughout? is it even worth the money?

• jcm3

Posted August 01, 2011 - 08:41 PM

I did both on my 426 recently, well worth it. It's hard to say how much of a power gain I felt, because it's hard to push these bikes that hard unless you are a really good rider. I did the cams, cam chain, piston and rings. It also has full exhaust, and the JD jet kig. The bike runs great.

Aside from easier starting, another thing to consider is that they bump start very easy afer the cam swap, if you ever need to after a stall.

The bike runs great, and I'm not sure it's not faster than my new 2011 yz450 that I just bought. But, power would be about the only similarity. :smirk:

I'd do both, it's a small investment for how long you may have it.

• upthemaiden

Posted August 03, 2011 - 06:24 AM

I have a related question and hope it doesn't count as thread jacking.

Is there a recommendation between installing a hotcam exhaust or a stock yz/wr450 exhaust cam?

I plan on doing this same thing and have heard about people doing both, but I wasn't sure if there was a reason to choose one or the other. It sounds like the timing marks will be off if you use the 450 cam, which sounds like a reason to stick with the hotcam, but I didn't know if the oem yamaha part would be better quality.

2nd question, which probably counts as thread jacking, but we're already on topic... If I want to put on a 450cc big bore someday, is that a reason that I should go with the 450 cam, or will the 426 hotcam still work perfectly fine with a bigbore?? I don't want to replace the cams, and then just have to replace them again a year later.

• grayracer513

Posted August 03, 2011 - 07:35 AM

Is there a recommendation between installing a hotcam exhaust or a stock yz/wr450 exhaust cam?

When auto decompression first came out, the OEM cam was the only option. Later, it was significantly less expensive that the aftermarket cams. Neither of these things is true any longer, so I would use the Stage I Hot Cam or an equivalent from another company as basic auto decomp upgrade rather than the OEM.

Bore size changes nothing about that recommendation.

• sid_125_04

Posted August 03, 2011 - 05:38 PM

2nd question, which probably counts as thread jacking, but we're already on topic... If I want to put on a 450cc big bore someday, is that a reason that I should go with the 450 cam, or will the 426 hotcam still work perfectly fine with a bigbore?? I don't want to replace the cams, and then just have to replace them again a year later.[/QUOTE]

I plan on the same thing this winter and getting my 426 up to par cuz i just cant swing a new bike:thumbsup:
Where in PA are you?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 03, 2011 - 09:39 PM

I said, I thought quite clearly,...

Bore size changes nothing about that recommendation.

• upthemaiden

Posted August 04, 2011 - 03:22 AM

I'm in Pittsburgh, not all that far from Ohio. If you're anywhere near I'd definitely be up for meeting in the middle some day for a ride around some WV roads.

• sid_125_04

Posted August 04, 2011 - 12:51 PM

im about 40 min from washington PA.

• upthemaiden

Posted August 05, 2011 - 03:52 AM

I said, I thought quite clearly,...

He was just quoting my previous question, but the quote marks didn't work. It just looked like he was asking the same questions again. :eek:

• Stinger1133

Posted August 05, 2011 - 02:27 PM

I have the 2000 YZ426F with the hotcams in it. I bought the bike with them already installed. I really love the fact that I do not have to use a decomp lever to start the bike. It starts 1 to 2 kicks even cold. My opinion, do it.

• sid_125_04

Posted August 06, 2011 - 10:33 AM

yeh i plan on it, but i will wait till after my labor day ride just dont have much time to do it until then. Then it will be a winter project with paint supension work motor work rims tires and new plastic with custom graphics, and also i have no 5th gear so it needs replaced.:eek: Thanks for all the input

• upthemaiden

Posted August 07, 2011 - 06:48 AM

Have you ever been in your top end before? It might take a little longer if it's your first time, but other wise you could have your bike apart, swap the cam, and have the bike back together within 45-60 minutes. If you've got plans for a whole winter project that's cool, I just didn't want you to think it was a whole long project worth putting off until winter if you've got the money for the cam now.

• sid_125_04

Posted August 08, 2011 - 05:22 PM

Yeh i knew it didnt take too long. I went to a track day sunday and i have the starting down. But i need some major suspension work for my fat ass:banana:

• sid_125_04

Posted September 01, 2011 - 05:50 PM

OK i just got done with the hot cams and she fires up i did the suspension and did the bk mod also didnt get to ride it, however the header it glowing a lot sooner than it did before any explanation? could i have the timing off my one tooth cuz i checked it and checked and checked and checked and the mark was top dead center on the fly wheel and the notch on the intake and the exhaust was even with the top of the head.

• sid_125_04

Posted September 02, 2011 - 05:52 PM

ok so nobody replied so i came home from work and took her a spin slow to try and break in the cams like it says in the instructions.................so i get on it a little bit cuz its running so good and "pop eeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr" tow it to garage and cant find anything and it will not run so i said to hell with it and now i have to ride on 4 wheels this weekend any ideas what to look for........?i DO have compression......spark.........fuel........wth? When i get back from this weekend ride its getting tore down and gone threw completely so......:):)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.