98 wr400, problems, maybe selling.

2 replies to this topic
  • sniper695

Posted August 01, 2011 - 04:55 PM

I have a 98 wr400. it starts and runs. but oil comes out of head, somewhere covered by gas tank, haven't taken off to look and try to narrow down. any ideas what that would be? how expensive to fix? would it be worth anything to try and sell as is?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • anoldsman

Posted August 02, 2011 - 07:56 AM

I have a 98 wr400. it starts and runs. but oil comes out of head, somewhere covered by gas tank, haven't taken off to look and try to narrow down. any ideas what that would be? how expensive to fix? would it be worth anything to try and sell as is?

If it doesn't smoke while running, I wouldn't jump to get rid of it too soon. That is unless you want to deliver it to TN! :eek: It is probably just a gasket or a vent tube. Take the tank off and clean it as best as you can. Then reinstall the tank and run it until it leaks. Remove the tank and look for the leak. Once you've found it just let us know where it is and we can go from there. I know how frustrating these things can be, just take your time and find out the problem first and then decide if selling is an option.

• nnamssorxela

Posted August 02, 2011 - 10:21 AM

It might be over full of oil and being forced out the vent tubes at the top of the valve cover. There is a very specific method to checking the oil level.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.