When did you last grease your swingarm and linkage?

33 replies to this topic
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 01, 2011 - 11:44 AM

My rear suspension was really stiff the past few rides. So stiff in fact, that I took the shock in for service because I thought something was wrong with it.

While the shock was off, I tried to move the swing arm up and down and it barely moved. So I took all day sunday, disassembled the linkages and bearings, cleaned the needles (as best I could), and greased everything liberally.

What a PITFA !!!!! I guess I won't wait 4 years before I do that again.

I would post pictures, but you can look up any of the rusted out photos of other swingarms and see what mine looked like. It was really bad.

I got it all fixed now and the swing arm moves very freely.

If you aren't riding this weekend, then you should be greasing your swingarm and linkages

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 01, 2011 - 01:44 PM

My rear suspension was really stiff the past few rides. So stiff in fact, that I took the shock in for service because I thought something was wrong with it.

While the shock was off, I tried to move the swing arm up and down and it barely moved. So I took all day sunday, disassembled the linkages and bearings, cleaned the needles (as best I could), and greased everything liberally.

What a PITFA !!!!! I guess I won't wait 4 years before I do that again.

I would post pictures, but you can look up any of the rusted out photos of other swingarms and see what mine looked like. It was really bad.

I got it all fixed now and the swing arm moves very freely.

If you aren't riding this weekend, then you should be greasing your swingarm and linkages

Maurice I checked mine while the shock was off to re-spring. It was nice and gooey in there...!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 01, 2011 - 03:55 PM

Maurice I checked mine while the shock was off to re-spring. It was nice and gooey in there...!

You are a smarter man than I :smirk:

I've sat back over the years, marveled and thumped my chest at the low maintenance and reliability of the WR's, all the while my linkage bearings were rusting away. Those water crossings don't help.

I've added this to my annual maintenance routine

• William1

Posted August 01, 2011 - 04:16 PM

Every 40 hours of ride time or every time the bike is submerged.

• shrubitup

Posted August 01, 2011 - 04:16 PM

I need to do this..... sooner than later...... get off the dime already.... :p

:smirk:

• t_bois

Posted August 01, 2011 - 04:29 PM

Just did mine 3 weeks ago. I was changing the oil and couldn't remember if I had ever done it. Took like 10 minute and didn't even hurt a bit.

• MANIAC998

Posted August 01, 2011 - 04:35 PM

I try to do mine every winter. The way I figure it, I beat the living heck out of her all summer, so the least I can do is treat her well all winter. I even re-checked them during the summer racing break, and only the very lowest one had dis-colored from water entering into the bearing. If you use a pressure washer, your definately going to be doing more damage then just riding thru water. Just a thought. Maniac

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 01, 2011 - 06:23 PM

Just did mine 3 weeks ago. I was changing the oil and couldn't remember if I had ever done it. Took like 10 minute and didn't even hurt a bit.

10 mins? Boy... you are fast :smirk:

• DesertRat74

Posted August 01, 2011 - 08:15 PM

My WR is an 09 but was purchased in 2010. I have ridden it for over a year and in my last race I broke the rear chain guide off the swingarm. I pulled the swingarm off for welding and found the axle/linkage/etc was BONE DRY! I smothered it in synthetic Sikolene grease. Definitely part of my maintenance routine from now on.

• SXP

Posted August 01, 2011 - 08:28 PM

Took like 10 minute and didn't even hurt a bit.

Impossible.

But then, I'm going to allow you a very liberal dose of artistic license:smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • johndeerekid

Posted August 01, 2011 - 09:27 PM

had to replace every bearing in my swing arm assembly because the previous owner never greased it. every bearing was rusted solid and took us a few hours of heating and pounding on them to get them free. it was a pain in the ass but atleast it rides like a dream now. -Wes

• kawi380

Posted August 02, 2011 - 06:02 AM

I seem to get to it about twice a year when I rejet for winter vs summer riding. As I usually take the shock off to make the rejet go with less swearing I just clean and grease the linkage. On the other hand my wheel and steering bearings could probably use some attention...:eek:

• cage

Posted August 02, 2011 - 09:35 AM

had to replace every bearing in my swing arm assembly because the previous owner never greased it. every bearing was rusted solid and took us a few hours of heating and pounding on them to get them free. it was a pain in the ass but atleast it rides like a dream now. -Wes

Same here. Except most of mine disintegrated when I took it all apart...yeesh

• gsa102

Posted August 03, 2011 - 05:50 AM

Maybe just for the bottom link under the shock. But they see the most abuse/water. Takes me that long to find the right socket.

• YamaLink

Posted August 03, 2011 - 06:18 AM

What. Huh. Never. You should do that?

Those are the words I often hear.

And then the best one: why is that orange dust coming out?

• t_bois

Posted August 03, 2011 - 06:50 PM

Takes me that long to find the right socket.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why the socket?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 03, 2011 - 10:34 PM

Why the socket?

If you neglect your bearings, like I did, they will get rusted and frozen inside of the linkage. You need a socket to hammer the sleeves out to get to the bearing. Then you'll use the socket to hammer the new bearing in.

• YamaLink

Posted August 04, 2011 - 07:21 AM

RE the hammering with sockets, et al. I've seen suspension pivot bolts so frozen in that the bike had to be laid on the side and a big punch & hammer (the kind you drive railroad stakes in) AFTER letting lubrication seep in overnight. Not my bike, but it was my entertainment to watch for 30 minutes. I kid you not when I say the owner thought about putting the back of the WRF in the deep chest freezer in hopes something would shrink and then come out. :eek:

• gsa102

Posted August 04, 2011 - 08:11 AM

Takes me that long to find the right socket.

To take the bolts out of the linkage...:eek:

• gsa102

Posted August 04, 2011 - 08:15 AM

I kid you not when I say the owner thought about putting the back of the WRF in the deep chest freezer in hopes something would shrink and then come out. :eek:

Look at the auto parts - someone makes a spray now that supercools parts to break them loose. If you cool the whole assembly you get nowhere, and a lot safer than using heat around the aluminum heat treated linkage.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.