Muffler Packing, Steel Wool?

16 replies to this topic
  • RipGroove99

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:36 AM

Seen a couple of videos where people have wrapped steel wool around the baffle before wrapping with packing material when packing 4 strokes, is this recomended?

• thestuz

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:11 AM

LOL. you serious?

• RipGroove99

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:35 AM

Just one example

• RipGroove99

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:38 AM

• RipGroove99

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:45 AM

From what i gather it helps keep the heat away from the packing material and also stops it being sucked into the baffle and blown out the back thus extending its life and the reason manufactures don't use it is partly cost and partly because of the revenue of packing kits. Worth trying?

• thestuz

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:26 AM

i was thinking rust would be a killer. if you had moisture or condensation, your gonna get a hell of a lot of rust juice all over the place. fiberglass packing does not rust, corrode or break down. but using only a small amount like they do, should be ok. i would like to see how it looks after a season.

Edited by thestuz, 01 August 2011 - 02:42 AM.

• RipGroove99

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:39 AM

i was thinking rust would be a killer. if you had moisture or condensation, your gonna get a hell of a lot of rust juice all over the place. fiberglass packing does not rust, corrode or break down.

Good point, stainless steel wool should be ok. Although the heat from the exhaust should get rid of any moisture build up.

• Chokey

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:40 AM

I'll never understand why anyone (including the manufacturers) would put a flammable material inside a silencer.

• RipGroove99

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:48 AM

I'll never understand why anyone (including the manufacturers) would put a flammable material inside a silencer.

Wrapped tightly it 'shouldn't' be a problem.

• 05-WR450F

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:17 AM

Moose universal packing kit comes with stainless steel mesh as the first layer of wrap.

• RipGroove99

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

Any thoughts on whether this could have any effect on the overall noise level of the exhaust?

• 92db

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

Many OEMs include (and have for quite some time) steel wool around the core. Top of the line aftermarket exhaust manufacturers do the same. Spending more money now for steel wool will have a big impact on the interval between repacks. Google Moose steel wool kits.

http://www.thefind.c...ose-can-muffler

RipGroove99-I was told (by pipe company's customer service guy) the steel wool takes about an hour to break in but after that doesn't adversely impact sound.

• soco3594

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:02 PM

I made a muffler a little while back and would advise wrapping the core with stainless steel wool.

I originally wrapped mine with regular steel wool and it caught fire on the first run and spat metre long flames out the exhaust! Don't get me wrong it looked awesome but I wouldn't recommend it.

A thin layer of tightly wrapped (stainless) steel wool will not catch fire and will make the fibreglass packing last longer.

Edited by soco3594, 01 August 2011 - 07:08 PM.

• RipGroove99

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:44 PM

Thanks for the input, think i Will give it a go this weekend.

• thestuz

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:49 AM

Good point, stainless steel wool should be ok. Although the heat from the exhaust should get rid of any moisture build up.

heat creates moisture buildup... condensation.

but stainless steel wool would be fine. but prob expensive.

• Chokey

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:53 AM

heat creates moisture buildup... condensation.

but stainless steel wool would be fine. but prob expensive.

Water is a byproduct of combustion. There is ALWAYS water present in the exhaust of an engine.

• RipGroove99

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:03 AM

Just got some off ebay for just under £5 posted...

Link: http://www.ebay.co.u...R-/280696870265

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.