Possible idea?

18 replies to this topic
  • Yamiryder

Posted July 31, 2011 - 04:23 PM

I was thinking, since I am somewhat lazy when it comes to time-consuming repairs, if it would be possible (or if it has already been done) to make a rear wheel that has identical brake disc and sprocket mounts. This way, in order to turn the rear tire around, you simply could swap sprocket and disc and then slap the rear tire back on with the sharp edge of your tire. I just thought of this recently and didn't know if someone had already thought of this or if it had already been done. I was just curious as to what people think, as it may be a dumb idea and I don't realize it.:smirk:

• Family Man

Posted July 31, 2011 - 09:04 PM

Are motocross wheels dished like Bicycle wheels? if they are then it wouldnt work. Havent built a MX wheel yet but I bet they are dished to one side.

• 400ex38317

Posted July 31, 2011 - 10:52 PM

That would be wayyyy better than changing a tire just to flip it around. Great idea, but unfortunately I'm 87% sure that the rim favors one side of the hub more than the other.

• tech24

Posted August 01, 2011 - 04:45 AM

It would be nice but hub is different left and right. Mounting surface for sprocket and rotor are different and sprocket side bearing is larger.

• Yamiryder

Posted August 01, 2011 - 09:39 AM

Well that's what I was saying, why wouldn't it be possible to make a rim that is symmetrical on both sides with identical mounting surfaces for the sprocket and disc.

• tech24

Posted August 01, 2011 - 10:16 AM

Well that's what I was saying, why wouldn't it be possible to make a rim that is symmetrical on both sides with identical mounting surfaces for the sprocket and disc.

Ah...rekon its possible I'll take one! I hate changing tires

• moto278

Posted August 02, 2011 - 01:18 PM

im not sure at all. but isnt the wheel offset on the rear so it aligns correctly with the motor, making it possible for the chain to spin straight without popping off? also helping the bike track straight as well. juts my guess. on another note, isnt that design similar to excel pr series hubs? or are those designed differently

• Yamiryder

Posted August 02, 2011 - 04:59 PM

im not sure at all. but isnt the wheel offset on the rear so it aligns correctly with the motor, making it possible for the chain to spin straight without popping off? also helping the bike track straight as well. juts my guess. on another note, isnt that design similar to excel pr series hubs? or are those designed differently

See, these are things I don't know. That's why I was asking this question.

• tech24

Posted August 03, 2011 - 04:30 AM

would just need different wheel spacers

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 03, 2011 - 07:11 AM

The entire wheel assembly would need to be engineered to be reversible. This would mean to start with that it would have to include at least a custom brake rotor to bolt up with the same 6 8mm bolts used by the OEM sprocket, and that the wheel would need to have no left/right offset (dish). It also means that the distance from center to both the disc and sprocket flange faces would need to be the same, which could require re-engineering the caliper mount. As it is, the brake rotor bolts up with 6mm bolts to reduce weight.

Then, of course, both the sprocket and rotor would need to be removed and remounted in order to flip the wheel, which would make it something less than a "quick and easy" operation. I think you should just learn to change tires and/or buy yourself a few tools to make the job simpler. It would be a much cheaper solution.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted August 03, 2011 - 07:19 AM

I have TUbliss setups on my bike, front & rear. Tire changes are easy, for me..... I also have a knobby knife, and this works well for squeezing some more life outta tires......

Jimmie

• Yamiryder

Posted August 03, 2011 - 07:58 AM

I can and do change my own tires and have proper tools...don't be so fast to judge.

• William1

Posted August 03, 2011 - 08:04 AM

He is not being too fast to judge. A tire swap is about a five minute job, once off the bike. Takes about the same amount of time to remove the rotor and sprocket and properly remount them. With experience, comes speed.

• Wiz636

Posted August 03, 2011 - 08:35 AM

Great idea, but I'm pretty sure that I could change the tire more quickly than switching the sprocket and rotor.

Now if someone could just engineer a sprocket that could also double as the brake rotor...

Or...engineer a system so that the sprocket and rotor are mounted to the swingarm instead of the hub. Or even a dual purpose single sprocket/rotor/brake system mounted to the swingarm. I like it!

• Mr. Neutron

Posted August 03, 2011 - 09:43 AM

How about a disc brake on the c/s sprocket (ala ATK???), and two differernt sizes of sprockets mounted on the rear wheel????? Naaaahhh.....

Jimmie

• Yamiryder

Posted August 03, 2011 - 10:15 AM

It probably doesn't help that i run a 250f tire on my 450 rim...:eek:

• usaf_yz426

Posted August 03, 2011 - 10:53 AM

radmfg has the hubs you are talking about. you can mount the sprocket on either side of the wheel, and the brake rotor also.

• grayracer513

Posted August 03, 2011 - 01:25 PM

True. The Rad Hex Interchangeable can be used that way. The sprocket and rotor each bolt to an adapter plate that can be installed on either side of the hub. But, you still have to do all that unbolting/re-bolting, you have to use their spokes, and the hub set costs $550.

No thanks. The intended use is actually to fit multiple different bikes by swapping adapter plates.

• Yamiryder

Posted August 03, 2011 - 04:54 PM

Thanks guys. I just had the idea pop into my head and I knew you guys would know if it had or could be done. Thanks:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.