426 Advice needed please

6 replies to this topic
  • logg

Posted June 07, 2001 - 04:16 PM

I just purchased a used 01 426 and need to replace some parts. Could anyone please answere some questions.
What's the best chain and sprockets that doesn't break the bank?
What type of motor oil to use?
What type of air filter to use?
Best frame guards for the money?
Can you get frame spray paint to cover the worn spot from the boots? Where?
Best place to get these items?
Thanks so much for your help. I'm looking forward to getting this bike back in shape and doing some riding with my son.

• MikeOK

Posted June 07, 2001 - 04:51 PM

As for chains, I got one of the Renthal works chains (non O-ring) and I've used it for most of last season and this one, still going strong. They will also sell you a kit with sprockets for a reasonable price. One place I shop is www.denniskirk.com, and another good one is Rocky Mountain but I don't know the URL. hmmm I can't remember what else you asked but I'm sure some of the others cats here will chime in...

• MikeOK

Posted June 07, 2001 - 04:57 PM

Oh yeah- oil hehehe. That is a highly debatable subject and you can get lots of opinions here, look back at the older posts for more info here but the one thing to avoid is any type of oil with "energy conserving" or "friction modifiers" on the label because of the wet clutch...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • holeshot

Posted June 07, 2001 - 05:03 PM

PJ1 makes Yamaha Blue spray paint, which is a very close match for your YZF. For the frame rail paint that rubs off with the upper part of your boot, I found that clear number plate backing, cut into strips about 1"+ wide and applied over the freshly painted tubes, will hold up quite well.

If I purchase another YZF, I won't bother with the frame guards again, I'll just let the paint rub off on the lower part of the frame.

Holeshot's Page

• john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u

Posted June 08, 2001 - 02:51 AM

Rocky Mountain's address is
excellent prices !!!
if they are out of stock on what you need, try http://www.hipersports.com/
Also really good prices, but seem to out of stock less often the Rocky Mountain.

• JBM

Posted June 08, 2001 - 05:12 AM

No-Toil is excellent air filter oil. You wash it out with their cleaner with soap and water in the sink if you want.

Like MikeOK said do a search about oil and you should find a lot of info. Many people, including myself, use Mobil 1 15w50 auto oil with excellent results. It offers good price, performance and availability.

Another good non-o-ring chain is the DID ERT. It has lasted me quite a while. You can get it from www.rockymountainmc.com for about $55 or from www.servicehonda.com for $48. You can also go with a RK x-ring chain for about $55 from rockymountain. Supposed to be a very good chain.

I use the Acerbis plastic frame guards, which are pretty much the same as the GYT-R Yamaha ones. They work pretty good, you just have to put something like rubber or plastic graphic material behind them or they will scratch the frame. They are only about $21.

Hope this helps.

• wpattison

Posted June 12, 2001 - 04:23 AM

sprockets are sprockets. get the ones that look the coolest.

if you use o-ring chains, then i firmly believe the did x-ring is the best out there, however it is spendy. worth it though.

mobil 15w-50. about $5/quart. don't use any car oil, however, that has energy saving additives. read the label.

filters are filters.

ufo. they go higher on the frame than any other gaurd i've seen. for some reason, acerbis and the others failed to notice that your boot will wear the paint clear up by the tank.

will pattison
racer, engineer

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.