will this fit?

10 replies to this topic
  • mgrych

Posted July 31, 2011 - 12:02 PM

Have the chance to purchase a scotts steering damper off a 03 yz450F. I'm assuming that i'd have to buy a mount kit for my 09 yz450f, but is that all? Also, is a used damper worth about 200? Let me know what you think? I do a lot of trail riding and think this is a good idea to get a scotts, but don't wanna spend the 500 for the whole new setup

• grayracer513

Posted July 31, 2011 - 01:16 PM

Yes, the damper is the same, and that mount kit for your bike will be all you need. As far as its value, $200 sounds about right to me. They last almost forever, and are repairable/resealable.

• mgrych

Posted July 31, 2011 - 02:54 PM

ok, i'll see how low i can go..

• mgrych

Posted August 01, 2011 - 11:49 AM

Ok, now actually he's saying it comes with an 06-08 yz450f fender mounting kit.. I thought the 09 would be included in those years because it didn't change from 08 to 09 right? Would this work? If it does, then i wouldn't even need to buy the mounting kit correct?

• mped220

Posted August 01, 2011 - 12:07 PM

Im not sure if they are the same between the years, but i do know that the fender mount doesnt seem to be the prefered mount, so you may want to invest in the bar mount anyway.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mgrych

Posted August 01, 2011 - 12:22 PM

what's the difference other than location?

• Eric@ScottsPerformance

Posted August 01, 2011 - 04:54 PM

what's the difference other than location?

06-09 fender mount kits are the same. MX guys tend to like the fender kits a little more because they do not adjust the damper on the fly as conditions change. It also allows you to run a bar pad. Most off road guys will run the damper above the bars for SUB mounted below the bars.
Thanks-
Eric

• mgrych

Posted August 01, 2011 - 05:32 PM

so it has more to do with the ability to adjust while riding and not actual dampening quality? I thought maybe you were suggesting it didn't work as well.

• Eric@ScottsPerformance

Posted August 02, 2011 - 09:59 AM

so it has more to do with the ability to adjust while riding and not actual dampening quality? I thought maybe you were suggesting it didn't work as well.

Actuall performance of the damper is the same its just a matter of ease of use. I do hear about some woods riders being worried about the safety of the unit because it is exposed on the front of the bike but we are here in Los Angeles so I dont think I know what a tree looks like where we ride :eek:

• wags450

Posted August 03, 2011 - 03:28 PM

we are here in Los Angeles so I dont think I know what a tree looks like where we ride :smirk:

I know what you mean. Big trees out here are either bush's or yuccas :eek:

• mgrych

Posted August 03, 2011 - 05:52 PM

That's funny, i wish i lived out there.. Our trails are lined with trees as deep as the forest is.. one false move and you get to meet one face to face..

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.