Electrical/Mechanical Problem

3 replies to this topic
  • fortiesNblunts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 08:15 AM

I have a 2000 YZ426F.
It cam with a light kit installed from BajaDesigns. About a month ago the lights and speedo stopped working. I figured it had to be the aftermarket stator but I hadn't gotten a chance to research it to see if I could get a new stator from the company. Well I had been riding it solid for about a month after this happened and noticed that I had a small oil leak after riding. I would put the bike up and the next day there would be a few drops on the ground under the bike. I didn't initially try to track down where it was coming from but the other night I was in the garage and just happened to look under the bike and noticed it was coming from the cover for this aftermarket external stator kit. So being the curious idiot that I am, I pulled the cover off.
All the oil in the bike cam pouring out.
Now, being that I have absolutely no experience with these engines I have no idea if that should have happened. In the clymer manual they don't say anything about draining the oil from the bike before removing the flywheel cover so I have a feeling that there shouldn't have been oil in there.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Is the head cracked? Could it be a seal?
Let me know if you have any ideas as to what I should do.
Thanks,
-Rob

• grayracer513

Posted July 31, 2011 - 11:48 AM

Oil belongs there. It's a Dry Sump System, and although the oil is stored in the frame during use, over the course of a week or so of sitting idle, the oil will drain back to the sump. If you had run the engine on the day you opened up the side, you would have lost a minimal amount of oil, but since it likely sat for a while, the oil level was much higher than normal operating conditions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fortiesNblunts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 06:05 PM

Oil belongs there. It's a Dry Sump System, and although the oil is stored in the frame during use, over the course of a week or so of sitting idle, the oil will drain back to the sump. If you had run the engine on the day you opened up the side, you would have lost a minimal amount of oil, but since it likely sat for a while, the oil level was much higher than normal operating conditions.

So the whole stator coil is supposed to sit in oil if it is left for a long time?
I thought maybe that was what made the stator go bad getting covered in oil.
But if that is correct then that means I just need a new casket for the external stator cover and a new stator coil.
Now I saw another thread talking about these Baja design external stators and someone in an older post mentioned they don't make them anymore.
You know if I could find one?
Appreciate the help man...

• fortiesNblunts

Posted August 01, 2011 - 09:51 AM

Bump.
Any more info guys?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.