2 scotts performance questions

7 replies to this topic
  • tech24

Posted July 29, 2011 - 02:22 PM

1. Just got my new filter and there is no rubber gasket on cover side. I assume there isn't supposed to be since it isn't necessary and oil will only flow through there when pressure relief is open but I just wanted to confirm.

2. I also got top mount kit to install the damper I bought for my 04 that I never used. The damper and arm is the same right?

Gray, Eric, anyone? Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted July 29, 2011 - 02:55 PM

1) Yes, that's normal. The Scotts uses no "seal" on the closed end. That was never a seal, anyway, but a base pad that allowed for production variances in the filter length, and provided a little more squish. It ensures a good seal on the open end without the risk of crushing the element. The Scotts is both more precisely made and stronger, so it's not needed.

2) I believe the arm is the same. You will know for sure when you go to drop the damper in place as the last step. The slot in the arm should come very close to centering on the pin.

• tech24

Posted July 29, 2011 - 03:02 PM

Thanks appreciate it! Getting ready for a trip and making sure I got everything straight.

• grayracer513

Posted July 29, 2011 - 03:20 PM

Read the manual on the damper as to how it's supposed to operate and how to make the adjustments to it, particularly the function of the high speed circuit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Eric@ScottsPerformance

Posted July 29, 2011 - 04:56 PM

Yes, the arm is the same for most model bikes so you should be good to go!

• tech24

Posted July 30, 2011 - 12:21 PM

thanks guys, getting ready to install it. Filter is in and had plenty of crush to seal in the rear. Looks like a good bit more filter surface too.

• grayracer513

Posted July 31, 2011 - 06:46 AM

Looks like a good bit more filter surface too.

One of the differences between Scotts and some of the knock-offs is filter area. The length of the element is the same, of course, but that times the number of pleats and their depth adds up to the actual size of the screen used in the filter. The Scotts has 40% more than at least one of the cheapies I've seen.

• tech24

Posted August 01, 2011 - 04:42 AM

One of the differences between Scotts and some of the knock-offs is filter area. The length of the element is the same, of course, but that times the number of pleats and their depth adds up to the actual size of the screen used in the filter. The Scotts has 40% more than at least one of the cheapies I've seen.

Definently a significant differance from the pos I pulled out

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.