tranny fluid change on a 426

4 replies to this topic
  • 510thumpstar

Posted July 29, 2011 - 01:41 PM

hi guys sorry if im posting in the wrong section but im trying to finish up a service for a friend and im a honda owner . he took the magneto cover off and drained all the tranny fluid and wants me to put new fluid in . i told him theres gotta be a drain plug and fill plug but i cant find it and i also dont know how much to put in . thanks Ricky

• SXP

Posted July 29, 2011 - 02:56 PM

hi guys sorry if im posting in the wrong section but im trying to finish up a service for a friend and im a honda owner . he took the magneto cover off and drained all the tranny fluid and wants me to put new fluid in . i told him theres gotta be a drain plug and fill plug but i cant find it and i also dont know how much to put in . thanks Ricky

You guys might be better off taking the bike to a mechanic.:smirk::bonk:

Oh well....the same oil that lubes the engine also lubes the trans. The bike does not have separate lubrication systems/oils. There are two drain plugs - one under the engine and one at the bottom of the front down tube of the frame (oil is stored in the frame). The oil filler cap is in between the steering head and the front of the gas tank. Use approximately 1.6 liters of m/c specific oil (NOT tranny fluid).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted July 29, 2011 - 04:41 PM

You guys might be better off taking the bike to a mechanic.:smirk::bonk:

Oh well....the same oil that lubes the engine also lubes the trans. The bike does not have separate lubrication systems/oils. There are two drain plugs - one under the engine and one at the bottom of the front down tube of the frame (oil is stored in the frame). The oil filler cap is in between the steering head and the front of the gas tank. Use approximately 1.6 liters of m/c specific oil (NOT tranny fluid).

....and clean the two oil screens, or you will have troubles, as it sounds like they have never been serviced before.
There is one on the downtube oil line, and one under the case (clutch side??).

• grayracer513

Posted July 30, 2011 - 09:05 AM

That's the engine oil. Here's how it works:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=881284

• byggd

Posted July 31, 2011 - 08:18 AM

After you put the new oil in do NOT start it with the dip-stick out. I made that mistake once.........

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.