Displaced rib fractures

46 replies to this topic
  • flanker

Posted July 29, 2011 - 12:36 PM

Last week I had a crash and ended up with displaced fractures of ribs number 5, 6, 7. Didn't receive much info re heal time, etc... Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.

• DBMX 925

Posted July 29, 2011 - 01:16 PM

Ha, me to, not sure what numbers but I had a punctured lung to go along with it. Doc told me 4 to 8 weeks. I don't know, been 2 and I don't even want to look at the bike. If I drop something on the floor , it's a panic attack and forget sleeping more than a couple hrs at a rip. Good luck and heal quick!

• erick51

Posted July 29, 2011 - 01:26 PM

when I broke seven of those (not displaced though, I think...) the x-rays after 4 weeks showed them repaired; however riding the bike two months after the injury (which involved other broken bones) I fell on my side and stayed there for a couple of minutes... not fun.

I guess x-rays are the way to tell. It depends a lot on your age, nutrition, how fast you heal, and so on...

It is better to let it heal. You don't want that kind of pain being around for a long time. Even laughing is not funny.

take care.

• flanker

Posted August 08, 2011 - 06:10 PM

Thanx for the info, yes laughing does suck lol.

its been 2 weeks now and starting to feel alot better. 4 to 6 weeks heal time is ok. i am just going to see how i feel before i get back on the bike. :eek:

• 1talbotj

Posted August 08, 2011 - 07:47 PM

dr mark i believe told me 3 months...at 6 months i crashed pretty hard an retwisted the knee...the ribs were ok this crash time...this time i was wearing a chest protector though and it was banged up pretty bad,

the ribs felt better (able to sleep on that side) at the 8-10 week mark...

• flanker

Posted August 11, 2011 - 01:37 PM

I was wearing a chest protector.:eek:

• 1talbotj

Posted August 11, 2011 - 03:03 PM

maybe a better/bigger chest protector would help for next time...i had a hard time finding a good one to fit all the way around a 250lbs rider...i finally found one and I'm really happy with it...

• DBMX 925

Posted August 12, 2011 - 12:52 AM

maybe a better/bigger chest protector would help for next time...i had a hard time finding a good one to fit all the way around a 250lbs rider...i finally found one and I'm really happy with it...

I had a chest protester on to. I am a big guy, If I got a bigger one it would look like I was riding with a dog kennel on me. :eek: What kind did you get as I am in the same boat.

• 1talbotj

Posted August 12, 2011 - 05:54 AM

I had a chest protester on to. I am a big guy, If I got a bigger one it would look like I was riding with a dog kennel on me. :eek: What kind did you get as I am in the same boat.

i got the fox airframe...the x-large size only comes in black...it fit me really good, it fits guys 220-280lbs comfortably...and it doesn't look like you are wrapped for space travel....

• DBMX 925

Posted August 12, 2011 - 12:24 PM

Thanks I'll look into 1.

• flanker

Posted August 13, 2011 - 09:00 AM

The one i had on when i crashed was more of just a roost protector.:smirk:

here is the new one i just bought. It fits well with my bionic neck brace.

It will be 3 weeks soon, starting to feel alot better now. :eek:

• 1talbotj

Posted August 13, 2011 - 09:19 AM

ya know that troy lee one looks real pretty, but it only covered the front and back, my experience is the side hits need more protection...thats where both times i broke ribs...normal falls for me are side falls when dumping...and this is a one size fits all...think about a chest protector having to fit a 120lbs guy also working for a 250lbs guy...it doesnt work for me...

• flanker

Posted August 13, 2011 - 10:19 AM

i am only 140lbs, it seems to cover my sides pretty good. they do come in different sizes.

• DBMX 925

Posted August 13, 2011 - 03:29 PM

3 weeks and feeling better, good for you. Tuesday was 3 weeks for me. I'm getting better so gradually its hard to notice any progress. Still need some pain killers to get through the night. I'm exhausted from sleeping in 3 hr stints................. I do find myself wanting to get back on the bike though. I don't know if thats good or bad!

• 1talbotj

Posted August 13, 2011 - 06:33 PM

im glad both of you are better, the test is being able to sleep on that side...8-10 weeks it took for me...are you guys taking a calcium supplement for bone healing?

as far as riding...dr mark warned me of complications if you happen to dump again...loose ribs being forced into sensitive organs from a crash...it doesn't set right with me...but then what the heck do i know...i only broke my ribs twice...let dr mark read you the riot act...

• flanker

Posted August 13, 2011 - 06:40 PM

i can feel it getting better everyday. still sore though.
i can sleep for longer stints at a time. last night got about 9 hours of sleep. woke up on my side, not the hurt side but never sleep that way anyways.

Can i ask how old you guys are, i'm 40 and old lol.

im taking calcium and vitamin D.

• 1talbotj

Posted August 13, 2011 - 06:45 PM

im 49...

• DBMX 925

Posted August 14, 2011 - 12:41 AM

52................... I did puncture a lung to, maybe that has to do with the added pain, I'm pretty sure that is all cleared up though. No calcium, maybe I'll get some today. What did Dr. Mark say about the riding after broken ribs? I did a whole bunch of searching and the only conclusion I can draw from his comments are, suck up the pain, did you expect broken ribs to feel good? Don't be a girly girl, get exercising... so on and so forth, you know typical Dr Mark responses, haha. I sure didn't find any lectures on riding after broken ribs. You know what I didn't hear once through this whole ordeal, What's a 52 year old guy doing on a dirt bike? I heard alot more of, " Boy would you regret not doing this a few years down the road" I was really surprised by that from heath care providers.

Edited by OTHG_DAVE_925, August 14, 2011 - 04:01 AM.

• 1talbotj

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:04 AM

i get a lot of that too from younger riders, but my same aged friends get just as hurt shooting basketball in their driveway or rupturing a disk in their back playing golf so......

i PM'd dr mark and he warned me of including aggressive sports in my rehab workout....not working out per se...i'm sure if we put out a request to all asking how bad someone got hurt again after riding too soon we will pull a lot of examples...

so are you an upstater or downstater? the wife is from lake george...so we are looking to go riding up there and returning home sometime...

• DBMX 925

Posted August 14, 2011 - 01:33 PM

I'm from Latham 50 miles south of Lake George on the Northway.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

how much weight can your LRP lose? by jeffjcalweb

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Mx training besides running by Ride_blue82

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   MX Riding Technique
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

What to do as a workout for Harescramble racer? by Fade

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  63 replies
Forums
Photo

How many miles should you be able to run before you race hare scrambles? by fenderlove01

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  40 replies
Forums
Photo

Slam Dunk by dturk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  41 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.