grey wire and throttle screw

7 replies to this topic
  • Valkman

Posted September 06, 2003 - 08:51 AM

Hi all, I just bought a WR450F on 09/03/03.. Several people at work have told me to cut a grey wire under the tank and get a new screw for the throttle.. What is this all about?

• bstanton

Posted September 09, 2003 - 11:06 AM

Cutting the gray wire gives the bike YZ characteristics. The screw that you speak of is in the carb. What you do is shorten that screw thereby allow the thottlr to open up more. Before you do just notice how far your throttle will turn. Once you remove this replace this screw you'll notice a difference. Check out (project WR450F) In there it will give you a part number. Or you cut off 10 mm

• Valkman

Posted September 09, 2003 - 09:53 PM

Thank you very much, you were the first person to finally respond to my question. I guess newbies are the best so far. :)

• bstanton

Posted September 10, 2003 - 06:48 AM

Let me know if you found what you were looking for on the website. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldbones

Posted September 10, 2003 - 07:56 AM

If you get mixed messages on length to cut throttle stop, just buy the YZ part at your local dealer. The Parts guy should know right what your talking about, then it's an easy swap. Only cost me a couple of bucks.

• oldbones

Posted September 10, 2003 - 07:59 AM

Forgot to mention, best source for a lot of information is Garrett Berg's website:

• beezer

Posted September 10, 2003 - 10:06 AM

If I had it to do again I would;

Get a JD jet kit available from TT.

Get a ProMoto billet exhaust baffle.

Cut the baffle out of the airbox.

Cut the grey wire in the wiring harness.

Get the YZ throttle stop. If your handy you can cut your own.

Make sure the flywheel nut it tight.

Go riding.

You owe me big time Valkman. :)

• Valkman

Posted September 11, 2003 - 07:35 PM

Hey Beezer, I owe you... :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.