FIRST POST! NEED HELP! 1998 YZ400f rattling and loss of power, now won't start???

4 replies to this topic
  • Warrix

Posted July 28, 2011 - 08:32 PM

Hey everybody first post here!

I just got my first 4-stroke hoping to be worry free for a while but no luck... I just wanna ride.

I got a 1998 yz400 had it for 2 weeks and then yesterday on the ride home it started "rattling" and would only "putt" home. I let it sit for a while then tried to start it but it had slightly less compression(still pretty stiff but I never had to use the lever) and never fired.

I took the entire bike apart to get to the top end, I finally got it all apart and the top end looks normal... No wear in the cylinder and the rings look fairly new with no visible damage. I also think it was punched out to 420cc because on the underside of the cylinder it was carved in "420-#32". I was looking at buying the kit myself.

Any ideas? Any info missing? Anything else I should check?

• primerib108

Posted July 29, 2011 - 06:28 AM

Did you check the timing? "Sometimes" you can jump a tooth from either a worn out cam chain or bad cam chain tensioner.....might as well check the sprockets for wear as well just in case the timing chain stretched.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 29, 2011 - 06:51 AM

Kind of late for that with the engine all apart.

• zlathim

Posted July 29, 2011 - 07:23 AM

Kind of late for that with the engine all apart.

I agree.

To the OP. Next time, before tearing everything all apart, check the basics like engine compression (with a guage), valve timing, valve clearances, etc. It's kinda hard for us to help you because all we know is the bike stopped running, and now it is all tore apart.

• Warrix

Posted July 30, 2011 - 12:16 PM

I'm used to 2 strokes so that's why I took it all apart before checking valves etc...

I took it in to the local shop an they said my timing chain is loose(everything was still apart though) He said I need a new cam chain and tensioner. He said the rings were fine. Then he quoted me $200 just to put it together if I supply the parts.

Is it hard to set the time? Or take the chain off?

Does this sound like he may be right?

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.