Plating a WR450. Anyone tried this?

14 replies to this topic
  • MMasz

Posted July 28, 2011 - 03:09 PM

One dude over at SMJ said that he got around the DMV and plated his off-road vehicle by taking it to a custom cycle builder shop and getting some “work done” on his bike. The shop then reissued a new “custom bike” title along with a new VIN. He took it to the DMV and had it registered without any problems.

Anyone tried this?

• SPLATT

Posted July 28, 2011 - 04:00 PM

I saw an article about a builder in CA cutting the steering head off of a CR500 and replacing it with one from a titled street legal bike complete with the VIN. So depending on the laws for custom built bikes in your state it may very well be possible to go that route.

Steve

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 28, 2011 - 04:27 PM

One dude over at SMJ said that he got around the DMV and plated his off-road vehicle by taking it to a custom cycle builder shop and getting some “work done” on his bike. The shop then reissued a new “custom bike” title along with a new VIN. He took it to the DMV and had it registered without any problems.

Anyone tried this?

Check with your local DMV about 'Special Construction' requirements.
Most states make it very difficult (multiple inspections, stripped to the frame, etc) so it's a real pain.

Do NOT do a 'vin swap' as mentioned in other posts, as it is Illegal in all states.

We don't do anything illegal here on Thumper Talk.

• Summit

Posted July 29, 2011 - 04:25 AM

We can plate a YZ here in Montana.

• RockyMtnScotsman

Posted July 29, 2011 - 08:28 AM

I just completed the process of plating my WR. Quite easy here in Colorado. Just check your local requirements and do the work (if it's even possible) or trade for one that's already plated.

• GCannon

Posted July 29, 2011 - 09:27 AM

I just completed the process of plating my WR. Quite easy here in Colorado. Just check your local requirements and do the work (if it's even possible) or trade for one that's already plated.

Showoff!:smirk:

• YamaLink

Posted July 31, 2011 - 02:12 PM

I saw a plated YZ and WR450F this week. The YZ took me by surprise, as usual. Headlights, smoke, wing ding...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • redhurricane

Posted July 31, 2011 - 07:20 PM

Plated mine in 2008, with NO vin verification or equipment check. Times have changed a little, and there is more work to do to get it done here but its still possible. Check with your own states laws regarding titling and registering a vehicle that is not originally titled as "on road".

Posted July 31, 2011 - 07:53 PM

Posted Image

Here is how I did it.

1. Buy all the crap that makes it legal, turn signals, speedo, horn and rear view.
2. Put the crap on.
3. Went to State Police, got it inspected, then DMV, then to brake tag place, then back to DMV. Got insurace, back to DMV, got plate.

Pic above^^

• rkwfxd1

Posted July 31, 2011 - 08:20 PM

It is different from state to state. Don't quote me on this but I "think" here in California if you go the custom bike route you can only do one in your lifetime.

Seriously though, if I REALLY wanted a street legal dirt bike I would just go buy a KTM and register it through the dealer. Yes, it would cost more than my WR but there would be ZERO issues with legality and ZERO worries about DMV pulling my plates and ZERO stress when I get stopped by the police. IMO it is just not worth the hassle and headache to try to fudge the laws when I can simply go to my local KTM dealer and get a bike legally. Of course, this in California, it is probably much easier and legal in the other 49 states.

$0.02:ride:

Posted August 01, 2011 - 04:20 AM

In Cali, a WR is out of the question. A KTM EXC would be your best bet

• strtdsmallproject

Posted August 02, 2011 - 08:37 AM

First off TENNESSEE..........I read all these posts and thought it was out of the question. Just for chance i thought it may work i took my wr title and handed it to the lady with a big ol smile. I said nothing just smiled. She processed and handed me a plate. I left the DVM skipping like a little girl. Now i have to look for a new race bike. Ive had a dream of riding a bike to a race, raceing, and then riding home. I only have to get lights hooked up now.

• mrlopez

Posted August 02, 2011 - 10:21 AM

In Cali, a WR is out of the question. A KTM EXC would be your best bet

Not really I did my 02 CRF450 this year and 3 years ago my 00 WR400 here in Ca

• stanwda

Posted August 27, 2011 - 05:53 AM

I did mine in utah it was very easy. bought a light kit that had turn signals mirror horn and hi low swicth stuck them on and wired up took to inspector and done. good luck in your state. by the way im selling mine if any one intrested.

• grizzzly

Posted August 27, 2011 - 09:56 PM

i have found that it all depend on who you talk to if one office wont give you what you want go to another
in mn it is a real pain to get a plate on a dirt bike, but if you get it plated in another state it is easy to transfer
that is how i got my wr plated
Posted Image
i dont have a single pic on the plate but it is on the fender in front of my tail light

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.