Suspension Question on 2011 yz450 - first ride tomorrow

I'm picking up my 2011 yz450 (blue) tomorrow. I currently ride a 2001 yz426, so I can't wait to feel the difference.

I only plan on putting an hour or so on it tomorrow, just to give it some break in. I'm picking it up and heading straight to Milestone. ?

I sat on a few, and man is the suspension tight when new. My question is, do you set your sag on it when it is brand new, or do you ride a few laps and let it go through the motions first?

I'm about 205 pounds, and the new ones barely move when I sit on them. So, I'm not sure if I should let it go through the motions a little bit first, or set the sag before I ride. I don't want six inches of sag once it loosens up. ?

I've read plenty of the posts on these bikes, but am also interested in anything else that someone might recommend for the first ride. I'll check all of the bolts, chain, tires, oil, coolant, etc. I'll probably not take it too easy, but will give it a few easy laps, then let it cool off and recheck everything.

Then, I'll ride it harder the second session out, and not baby it.

Once I get it home, I'll replace the chain with a Regina ORN6, grease it up, change the oil and filter, change the coolant, and put new tires and radiator braces on it before I ride it again. I may raise the bars 5mm with washers, after reading some posts about the bar height with the stock bars. I also plan on getting the tuner and changing the tune before the second ride.

Any other tips? It's been about 20 years since I had a new bike!

Set the race sag before you ride and go. Recheck after a couple of hours. To me it seams that only the static sag changes after break in...?

You probably will need new springs. Go up front and rear accordingly. I am 220lbs and run 5.0 and 60 N/mm.

Don't worry about clickers until you rode a few hours. Engine, gearbox and suspension need a few hours to break in. I.e. Starting and shifting will get easier and the supension softer...

Try the different bar mount positions and a washer. You can get add 3mm before the nut is not fully engaged to the bolts thread anymore (even though: Loctite!!). I am 5'10" and run the forward position with the mounts twisted back and a 3mm washer.

Get the Tuner! It is plain awesome how easy you can adjust the engine to your liking. I am not planing on a exhaust after finding "my" map.

Loctite the rim locks if you want to be super-accurate...

Thanks for the quick response! I'll set my race sag first.

It sounds like maybe I should look into new bars rather than going up 5mm, if the threads are not long enough. That could be dangerous.?

I was considering the Marmont map, based on what I have read. Which one do you prefer?

I'll be out there tomorrow too. Wish I had a brand new bike to ride!?

You'd usually see me on my old yz426. ?

Look for me. I'll be driving a champagne Yukon XL, and will be riding pretty slow tomorrow on the vet track only.

The next time I'll wick it up a bit. (from slower to slow) lol

I won't likely be there until noon or so, because the shop that I'm picking it up from in El Cajon isn't open until 9:00am.

You'd usually see me on my old yz426. ?

Look for me. I'll be driving a champagne Yukon XL, and will be riding pretty slow tomorrow on the vet track only.

The next time I'll wick it up a bit. (from slower to slow) lol

I won't likely be there until noon or so, because the shop that I'm picking it up from in El Cajon isn't open until 9:00am.

So how was it? I saw a lot of what looked to me like new bikes out there today. We loaded up at 1:00pm so if you made it onto the vet track around noon we may have crossed paths. ?

I was parked just left of the track entrance and right of the mini bike track bleachers.

Did you smell that smoke? I think there was a fire nearby?

So how was it? I saw a lot of what looked to me like new bikes out there today. We loaded up at 1:00pm so if you made it onto the vet track around noon we may have crossed paths. ?

I was parked just left of the track entrance and right of the mini bike track bleachers.

Did you smell that smoke? I think there was a fire nearby?

It was great. I got there a little bit after noon like I figured. By the time I went over it, tightened all of the spokes, and gave it a once over, I rode over to the vet track and they were watering. ? What kind of bike were you riding, and what was the number?

So, I gave it about three or four laps around the beginner track to give it a heat cycle, then let it cool off. I likely didn't see you.

I didn't push it much, but after a few laps around the vet track later taking it easy, I was clearing everything. What I'm the most amazed at is the suspension. It felt like I was jumping onto a feather bed instead of jumping onto the floor. It was pretty cool. I'm interested in seeing what my old dog feels like suspension-wise when I go out again. That new section with four or five whoops felt pretty rough, but I could go through it on the gas and just let the suspension soak it up. I'm wondering if the same section will put me over the bars on the 426, especially the front end.

It also feels really light in the air.

I didn't wring it out much, but it doesn't feel any faster than my modded 426 based on my initial feelings. I'm sure after I put the Marmont map into it and wring it out a little bit, my feelings will change.

All in all, I didn't push it hard enough to really feel how much of a difference the new bike is. I am stoked to have it though, I'm all excited again for the first time in a long time. It's only my third new bike, and my last one might have been an '89 or so CR250. lol

I plugged a bunch of maps into the tuner last night, and I need to do some maintenance before I head out again. Maybe I'll see you out there next time, hopefully it will be in a few weeks.

It was great. I got there a little bit after noon like I figured. By the time I went over it, tightened all of the spokes, and gave it a once over, I rode over to the vet track and they were watering. :( What kind of bike were you riding, and what was the number?

So, I gave it about three or four laps around the beginner track to give it a heat cycle, then let it cool off. I likely didn't see you.

I didn't push it much, but after a few laps around the vet track later taking it easy, I was clearing everything. What I'm the most amazed at is the suspension. It felt like I was jumping onto a feather bed instead of jumping onto the floor. It was pretty cool. I'm interested in seeing what my old dog feels like suspension-wise when I go out again. That new section with four or five whoops felt pretty rough, but I could go through it on the gas and just let the suspension soak it up. I'm wondering if the same section will put me over the bars on the 426, especially the front end.

It also feels really light in the air.

I didn't wring it out much, but it doesn't feel any faster than my modded 426 based on my initial feelings. I'm sure after I put the Marmont map into it and wring it out a little bit, my feelings will change.

All in all, I didn't push it hard enough to really feel how much of a difference the new bike is. I am stoked to have it though, I'm all excited again for the first time in a long time. It's only my third new bike, and my last one might have been an '89 or so CR250. lol

I plugged a bunch of maps into the tuner last night, and I need to do some maintenance before I head out again. Maybe I'll see you out there next time, hopefully it will be in a few weeks.

This is me below. I did go out one more time after they watered. I only have a stock suspension but I have ridden bikes that were plush and it sounds like you've got that. I'm definately jealous!! If you have a pic post it. Maybe I saw you!

Ya, those new sand whoops were a little harsh in spots but they were ok. I did like the change they made 2 turns before those whoops. The track flows better there now but then you hit those whoops and your flow is disrupted again. lol

I rode a 2010 YZ450 a while back and loved how well it handled. I bet you love that new bike!! ?

I only ride Fridays, but ride at least twice a month so let me know when you go back out. ?

normal_DSC05335.JPG