Agent Smith Racing fork work

4 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted July 27, 2011 - 05:27 PM

Posted Image

Took my '07 forks to Agent Smith Racing in Santa Clarita, to have them 'looked at'.

They were previously re-valved by ESP, and had non-stock springs, of unknown weight.

Turns out they had .50kg in them (perfect) and the shim tuning was re-shimmed to be straight non-progressive. Paul re-did them to be more progressive, and modifed the base valve.

I'll try them out as soon as I can.

• dustdogg

Posted July 27, 2011 - 07:10 PM

Looks good :smirk: Can't wait to hear how they work. Right now ASR is one of my top choices for when I send my stuff out. I just havn't heard from any Yamaha owners, just those Honda guys:p Did he explain to you how his mods would work compared to the work previously by ESP? What about the shock?
Oh yeah, how was the pricing? You don't have to give out numbers, just wondoring if ASR is in the same range as the "other" guys.
My other bike (WR426) was sent to Precision Concepts and I feel that there pricing at the time was reasonable and the turnaround time was quick. The bike works great, but I am looking at all options for the next time around on the 450:ride:.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted July 27, 2011 - 07:30 PM

Looks good :smirk: Can't wait to hear how they work. Right now ASR is one of my top choices for when I send my stuff out. I just havn't heard from any Yamaha owners, just those Honda guys:p Did he explain to you how his mods would work compared to the work previously by ESP? What about the shock?
Oh yeah, how was the pricing? You don't have to give out numbers, just wondoring if ASR is in the same range as the "other" guys.
My other bike (WR426) was sent to Precision Concepts and I feel that there pricing at the time was reasonable and the turnaround time was quick. The bike works great, but I am looking at all options for the next time around on the 450:ride:.

I did not go into detail with Paul about the exact nature of the work he did.

He would surely tell me in detail, but I don't really think that is the way to do business with him. He is a small shop, and wants to keep his trade secrets his own. I know suspension set up is not really 'secret', but you know what I mean.

He is the exact opposite of some other tuners, who baffle you with BS, charts, build diagrams, testimonials, etc. He asks, he listens, he asks some more, and then goes to work. If it's not right, he changes it.

To me, it's just like head porting. I am capable of learning all about who-what-how-when, but don't really have the desire to be learning new a new 'art' anymore. I've got too many as it is.

I would have to refer you to Paul for pricing.

Suffice to say I think he undercharges.....

• dustdogg

Posted July 27, 2011 - 08:25 PM

I did not go into detail with Paul about the exact nature of the work he did.

He would surely tell me in detail, but I don't really think that is the way to do business with him. He is a small shop, and wants to keep his trade secrets his own. I know suspension set up is not really 'secret', but you know what I mean.

He is the exact opposite of some other tuners, who baffle you with BS, charts, build diagrams, testimonials, etc. He asks, he listens, he asks some more, and then goes to work. If it's not right, he changes it.

To me, it's just like head porting. I am capable of learning all about who-what-how-when, but don't really have the desire to be learning new a new 'art' anymore. I've got too many as it is.

I would have to refer you to Paul for pricing.

Suffice to say I think he undercharges.....

I understand what you mean. I wasn't really looking for 'secrets', just recomendations and areas that he works on to improve the WR's faults. I have heard nothing but good things about Paul and I will definately be speaking with him in the future. Thanks again, and looking forward to hearing how it works:thumbsup:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 28, 2011 - 06:19 PM

Got the bike back together:

Tore it down most of the way, and then built it back up. Still need to do the swingarm and linkage grease.
What I did do:

New Rear fender, 6.0/.50 springs (had em), Tall Guts seat kit (had it), Carb cleaning, R&D powerbowl II (friggin' magic), Big Gun slip on, Dr D. Quiet core + spark arrestor (very quiet!!), Valve cover gasket, Agent Smith Racing fork re-valve and maintenance. Tires are already like new (MX-51).

It started in 3 or 4 seconds, and purrs like a kitty. A kitty with fangs.......

Rode it on the local SSS mini-track and had a blast.

Forks work very well. Not much stiction, about 35mm of free sag, and are very progressive feeling.
Shock is not so good, but I only went in 2 clicks on the HSC so far.

All in all, a very good result, for the ressurection of the Little Blue Mule!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.