WR OR YZ400?

2 replies to this topic
  • NICK_FELT

Posted June 06, 2001 - 06:32 PM

I'M GETTING A NEW BIKE THIS SUMMER SELLING MY YZ125. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT WOULD BE BETTER FOR ME THE WR OR YZ? I RIDE TRAILS ON THE WEST COAST AND THE DUNES. MY FRIENDS ALL RIDE CR250'S BUT I WANTED A 4 STROKE I KNOW ABOUT THE MODS BETTWEEN THE TWO BIKES BUT WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IN PROFORMANCE OTHER THAN THE TIMING. DOES THE WR FEEL THAT MUCH HEAVIER AND IS IT REALLY THAT MUCH SLOWER IN EXCELERATION THAN THE YZF? HOW IS THE ENGINE BREAKING IN THE TWO? IS THERE A DIFFERENT FEEL IN THE TWO BIKES? HOW MUCH BETTER OR WORSE IS THE WR GEARING THAN THE YZ? AND OTHER HELPFUL TIP ON THE TWO BIKES.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PK

Posted June 06, 2001 - 09:53 PM

It boils down to what you want to use the bike for. I have a YZ400 and I usually ride motocross with some trail riding thrown in. However two weeks ago I was riding in the Central Oregon desert and was wishing I had the fuel range and tranny of the WR. I don't think the weight difference would be too much between the 2 models and you can always remove unnecessary items off the WR to lighten it up by a few pounds. I like the 18" rear wheel on the WR more than the 19" wheel on the YZ but that is probably just a personal preference. It's kind of a crap shoot but it boils down to what your gonna do with the bike.

Pat
99 YZ400

• Tim_Heslip

Posted June 10, 2001 - 06:51 PM

Nick,
I am riding a 98 WR400 and my buddy is on a 01 YZ426. We ride mostly on a motocross track but we also hit the trails a few times a year. After I did the YZ timing, air box lid removal, baffle removal and a rejet we are not too different. The YZ feels lighter which is great on the track and it does have more power. So the YZ is prefered on the track. On the trails is another story. The bigger tank is a big plus. Even more important is that for us to do serious trial riding we should be road legal and it is way easier to make the WR legal than the YZ cheaper too. All it cost me to get on the track was a number plate, some jets and a needle and a weekend of work. I feel I made the right decision for Me but I know my buddy loves his YZ. Does that answer anything? Thought not. Clear as mud. I guess like PK said, it depends on what you are going to do. The WR feels heavier but not too much, the bike is less powerfull feeling but not that much, I may add a tooth or two to the rear sprocket to gain a gear and loose some RPMs on the track. The bikes are close enough that if my buddy is on my bike and I am on his, he would still leave me in the dust. Trust me on this one though, you can't loose with either bike. Good luck.

Tim

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.