kickstart lever sounds partially engaged

6 replies to this topic
  • pairodice

Posted July 26, 2011 - 04:13 PM

was riding my 03 wr 450 yesterday ran fine rode about 6 hrs last time i started it ( kickstart only batt and starter removed) and it sounded like the kick lever was not all the way up but it was, making a loud grinding noise just like it sounds when the engine is running and the kick lever is engaged. it still starts and kicklever feels normal, engages, stops at same spot. if i wiggle the kickshaft it seems to get a bit louder. any ideas i wont have time to open her up til wed night and I was planning a ride fri. thanks in advance for your help:worthy:

• dgcars

Posted July 27, 2011 - 12:19 AM

You need to get that sorted right away. You could end up with a hole in that case when the kickstart assembly lets go.

• danfromnb

Posted July 27, 2011 - 01:04 PM

Either the kickstart shaft or the stopper is broke. Don't ride it, don't start it. There are multiple threads on here where gears, cases, clutch baskets, and any other number of parts have been ruined because of this. It's not a hard thing to fix but can and will ruin other parts if left.

I got lucky and only had to replace the stopper when mine broke. Mine sounded the same as yours, half of the stopper was laying between a gear and the case.

http://www.thumperta...9286&highlight=

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pairodice

Posted July 27, 2011 - 03:34 PM

Thanks dan you are the man. just as you said broken stopper w/ broken half laying on the idler gear below. just overnighted the parts, thanks again

• danfromnb

Posted July 28, 2011 - 04:53 PM

Thanks dan you are the man. just as you said broken stopper w/ broken half laying on the idler gear below. just overnighted the parts, thanks again

No problem, glad to help

• Twistandgo

Posted July 06, 2013 - 01:58 PM

Hi sorry if this is digging up an old thread a bit.

I have just bought a 99 wr400 a few weeks ago and all was fine. Still is to be fair. But one of the lads at our yard tried to kick the bike over ( without letting me know 1st and knowing nothing of the starting procedure) and the kickstart as kicked back on him.

Later that day I came to the bike knowing this had happened earlier but thought nothing of it. Went to start it and it all started fine.

However now when I ride it it's making a noise like the kickstart is catching like a ratcheting sound. I noticed this straight away.

Haven't really done anything about stripping down but did do a bit of a search on line to see if anyone has encountered the same issue. And low and behold there are mentions of it on thumpertalk.

So I have joined the forum for some advice and hopefully can share any of my finds while I own this bike.

So in short I have looked on the site and in my clymber manual but can't find a part number for the kickstart stop. Does anyone know the part number??? I'm just going to open the bike up I think and replace it I'm sure it's broken as the fault sounds the same as others.

So if anyone has a contact or part number for the kickstart stop I'd be very greatful.

Just a bit of background on me. I have had many different bike over the years from off road to road and have done most of my own maintanence so like to think I'm quite capable of repairs !!!

• Do I Care?

Posted July 06, 2013 - 03:03 PM

So in short I have looked on the site and in my clymber manual but can't find a part number for the kickstart stop. Does anyone know the part number???

So if anyone has a contact or part number for the kickstart stop I'd be very greatful.

Welcome twistandgo
Parts numbers can be found on this site....HERE.
Below is the part you're after...
5BE-15668-00-00

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.