yz426 rebuild

54 replies to this topic
  • blbiker56

Posted July 26, 2011 - 11:26 AM

Day1:
The first step was to completely tear it down and go through everything. The bike, as purchased, runs awesome.....has great compression....and is screaming fast. But, we just didn't know the condition of all the bearings, etc.... And he wants to repaint the frame, etc.....

Posted Image

And the work begins.....

Posted Image

Oooops.....the linkage and shock bearings are shot. That will cost $100....but great that we tore into it to know to repair.

Day2:
Well another day discovering more things to to and more parts to buy!
as said earlier i pulled some bearings out of the shock linkage and it was
rusted out and really needed some attention. So i did some research and
found this kit on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/....Q5fAccessories

for only $74 im all over this. ordered the parts today.

checked the front stem bearing and also the front wheel bearings. they are in
great shape, but i cleaned and re-greased the front wheel bearings.

Posted Image

Posted Image

i continued to remove everything from the frame and successfully pulled the engine
it was slightly difficult to get the engine out but we found that a good twist of the
head down to the ground worked well.

Posted Image

i pulled off the valve cover which was extremely easy (two bolts) and checked the valves.

Posted Image

http://i228.photobuc...ld/DSCN7193.jpg

next is to clean and degrease the frame and prep for paint!!! anyone got any ideas for some
cool color schemes for the bike???

Posted Image

Day:3
just ordered the new radiators for the bike, i picked up some oversized ones 30% capacity more for a
pretty good deal, but here is the damage from the last rider, and it looks like he tried to repair
it with some epoxy or something. so i just decided to replace both of em and go ahead and upgrade
while in the process.

Posted Image

• Stinger1133

Posted July 26, 2011 - 11:37 AM

I just bought my 426 about a month ago and did the same exact thing to it. stripped the whole bike down and went through it. I am getting radiators redone as we speak from a guy we use at work. I am debating whether to paint the frame black and add white plastics with the yz400f graphics or just go stock graphics. Not sure yet. Good luck on the bike. I hope it turns out well. Please keep posting info.

• sid_125_04

Posted July 26, 2011 - 05:03 PM

Im still riding my 426 and after labor day going clear through it new springs, hot cams all kinds of stuff. I think im going to paint the bike frame white with all black plastics and black rims and blue hubs but its just an idea. As for graphics there are so many custom graphics makers out there you can make that bike look like a 2012. Good luck with your build:thumbsup:

• cliterfish

Posted July 26, 2011 - 10:54 PM

White frame!

• cliterfish

Posted July 26, 2011 - 10:55 PM

OMG! wow

• sid_125_04

Posted July 27, 2011 - 03:22 AM

would look good think about it and most everything polished????Apparently no one has done a white frame???:smirk:

• blbiker56

Posted July 27, 2011 - 09:02 AM

i cleaned up the frame, wire brushed most of the junk off of it and
sanded that baby down. I went ahead and threw a coat of filler primer
on so that it would be thick and fill in most of the scrapes and pits. I am
still deciding on a color, but considering black, because i can put truck bed
liner on the bottom end of the frame so that it will last when i ride rough
terrain.

Posted Image

i also painted the subframe with primer

Posted Image

so i thought you guys would like to see how great bearing look when not
taken care of. they literally fell out when i took the bolts out of the shock
linkage. RUSTY!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

• jojo1224

Posted July 27, 2011 - 10:13 AM

Im pretty much doing the same, thing. I bought a neglected yz426 and am redoing the whole motor and replacing just about everything. I just got the frame and sub frame and engine covers back from a sand blaster and now going to get them powdercoated wrinkle black. For your rads look on ebay there is a company who has oversized rads for our bikes for $100 and that is for both rads.

• blbiker56

Posted July 27, 2011 - 10:56 AM

Im pretty much doing the same, thing. I bought a neglected yz426 and am redoing the whole motor and replacing just about everything. I just got the frame and sub frame and engine covers back from a sand blaster and now going to get them powdercoated wrinkle black. For your rads look on ebay there is a company who has oversized rads for our bikes for $100 and that is for both rads.

hey thanks jojo, ya i already ordered the rads yesterday and i found prolly the same ones for 115 with shipping and all, and they are oversized. i know that they are just Chinese built but i looked up reviews and everyone that has had them on there bike had beat them up and has had no sings of leaking or cracking what so ever. How much is your powdercoating costing you?

• gscx

Posted July 27, 2011 - 11:16 AM

holy crap. Another 426 in delaware? lol. I might not be the only one riding one of these at the track soon. good luck with the build

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sid_125_04

Posted July 27, 2011 - 04:01 PM

mine was negleticted like your guys also sat in a barn for 3 years, only did a few things to it to get it running strong. Speaking of tracks i'v been meaning to ask ppl that have these 426's can they still compete today if tuned well enough?

Also frame looks great black would look good or a dark gray like graphite?

• blbiker56

Posted July 27, 2011 - 07:36 PM

more progress... and i decided on the black color!
i painted the frame with auto acrylic, but instead of doing the
whole thing black i bought some truck bed liner and i sprayed the
bottom half of the frame so that i can ride this thing without
worrying about tearing up the paint job.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i also managed to pop out the bearing in the suspension linkage that
was difficult and not fun with a hammer and socket:banghead:. then
i forgot that i could have easily used my vise and pressed them out a little easier. but now i can do it with the rest of them :smirk:

Posted Image

• sid_125_04

Posted July 28, 2011 - 03:44 PM

looks awesome with the texture, you have any motor mods in store?

• Stinger1133

Posted July 28, 2011 - 04:32 PM

The paint looks great. What brand of auto acrylics did you use ? I am interested. My mom runs a powder paint shop about 300 miles away but I never have time to go down there or I would just run it there for a paint job.

• jojo1224

Posted July 28, 2011 - 09:11 PM

hey thanks jojo, ya i already ordered the rads yesterday and i found prolly the same ones for 115 with shipping and all, and they are oversized. i know that they are just Chinese built but i looked up reviews and everyone that has had them on there bike had beat them up and has had no sings of leaking or cracking what so ever. How much is your powdercoating costing you?

Ya those are the same rads I got but I didn't want to get them from china and wait weeks or months to receive them so I got mine from a dealer in Florida for $100 + $50 shipping. Ill be dropping off my frame and parts tomorrow at the powder coater but he quoted about $250 CND. One thing I am worried about is I have a Acerbis 3.4gal tank and with the stock rads it was a tight fit so I don't know if my oversized rads will fit, I may need to trade it for a stocker or use a heatgun and reshape the tank. Btw the frame looks sweet. :smirk:

• blbiker56

Posted July 29, 2011 - 07:33 AM

Ya those are the same rads I got but I didn't want to get them from china and wait weeks or months to receive them so I got mine from a dealer in Florida for $100 + $50 shipping. Ill be dropping off my frame and parts tomorrow at the powder coater but he quoted about $250 CND. One thing I am worried about is I have a Acerbis 3.4gal tank and with the stock rads it was a tight fit so I don't know if my oversized rads will fit, I may need to trade it for a stocker or use a heatgun and reshape the tank. Btw the frame looks sweet. :smirk:

ya i will be getting the bigger tank too so once you get it mounted post some pics so i can see what you did. I bought mine off ebay, and were shipped from georgia, and are supposed to come in today. i just found a dealer that was in the US already.

• blbiker56

Posted July 29, 2011 - 07:38 AM

The paint looks great. What brand of auto acrylics did you use ? I am interested. My mom runs a powder paint shop about 300 miles away but I never have time to go down there or I would just run it there for a paint job.

well for the textured look i just used the Rust-o-lium truck bed spray on liner, which has worked great for another bike we have in the garage... last forever!
but for the paint i used just Dupli-Color® Paint Shop Finish System, Jet Black, i used it cause it is pretty cheap and everything is already mixed for you, so just throw it in your paint gun and your good to go.

• zlathim

Posted July 29, 2011 - 07:41 AM

I'm digging the bed liner on the bottom of the frame. I might have to steal your idea if I ever get enough ambition to tear my bike completely down and repaint the frame.

• blbiker56

Posted August 22, 2011 - 11:14 AM

hey guys got the bike finished up ill post some more pics of me putting it together but she runs super strong and is a beast. the valve adjustments really helped it start as well.

• Schpenxel

Posted August 23, 2011 - 05:48 AM

Nice!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.