06 450 cam retard

3 replies to this topic
  • nathan-yel

Posted July 26, 2011 - 03:01 AM

i have heard that wr450s come out stantard with the cam retarded and you can move a tooth one way or another to make them go better is this true can anyone help me out
cheers blokes

• byggd

Posted July 27, 2011 - 12:51 PM

i have heard that wr450s come out stantard with the cam retarded and you can move a tooth one way or another to make them go better is this true can anyone help me out
cheers blokes

This is from the FAQ at the top of the forum.....

Q: How many link pins are between the cam marks for YZ timing?
A: If you have a 400 or 426, you will need to rotate the exhaust cam sprocket 1 tooth clockwise at TDC. This will give you 12 pins between the marks, stock is 13. If you have a 450, you will need to buy a YZ exhaust cam as the rotation method does not work due to the decomp pin.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rholbrook

Posted July 27, 2011 - 01:10 PM

I have done this mod to my WR and love it. My suggestion to you would be to find a YZ exhaust cam instead of rotating your WR cam. That way the number of pins stays the same. If you can find a YZ cam, I can give you a few pointers to follow to make it easier. If you simply rotate your existing cam one tooth (clockwise), you will lose the auto-decompression which will make it so your e-start really struggles if it works at all.

YZ timing pin count if you use your WR cam is 12, if you use a real YZ cam then it will remain 13 pins.

• dgcars

Posted July 27, 2011 - 02:31 PM

Rotating a WR cam (450) to give you YZ timing doesn't work. If you want YZ timing, get a YZ cam.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.