Recommend me a front tire? 06 yz450f

13 replies to this topic
  • Randal McSandal

Posted July 25, 2011 - 05:21 AM

Looking for a new front tire, just put a new back on that came with the bike and what a difference that made! I'm getting quite a bit of front end push in the loose stuff, just trying to eliminate what I can. Price isn't an issue as I can get a hefty discount. I don't ride much hard packed, and some very loose stuff but I'd say an intermediate tire would be right.

Thanks in advance!

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 25, 2011 - 06:46 AM

I would recommend the Pirell Pro-FIM. Thats what I use and have real good results in wear from it. I use it for every track I race in my region and it does real well about biting down and staying in ruts.

• Randal McSandal

Posted July 25, 2011 - 06:49 AM

I'll look into it, what size do you run?

• Wiz636

Posted July 25, 2011 - 08:37 AM

I prefer the Michelin M-12 front tire, and the Dunlop MX-51 is another pretty good all-around tire.

The '06 tends to push in the front, you can help this by raising your forks 5mm up in the triple clamps, and setting your rear sag to 95mm. In essence tilting the bike forward a little bit.

• tech24

Posted July 25, 2011 - 09:29 AM

Dunlop mx-51 or 31

• rjcook450

Posted July 25, 2011 - 09:53 AM

running the mx51 on my 08, better than the 742f, but still got tore up faster than i thought it would, since the mx51 rear holds up so good, im changing to the mx71 for the front, i hear its still good for track conditions and trail riding.

• Randal McSandal

Posted July 25, 2011 - 09:54 AM

I prefer the Michelin M-12 front tire, and the Dunlop MX-51 is another pretty good all-around tire.

The '06 tends to push in the front, you can help this by raising your forks 5mm up in the triple clamps, and setting your rear sag to 95mm. In essence tilting the bike forward a little bit.

I'll give that a shot too thanks! Is there a way to adjust the rear sag without taking it all apart? Will the hammer and screw driver method work on this bike.. Thanks/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted July 25, 2011 - 09:57 AM

http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

• Troutman

Posted July 25, 2011 - 07:15 PM

A Dunlop 755 if you can find one. My favorite front at the track for intermediate terrain. Check the web there are some still around and they should be on sale. I use the MX51 in a 110 for the rear.

• Family Man

Posted July 25, 2011 - 09:30 PM

I could tell you, but I need a discount first. If its on sale its worth a shot, within reason ofcourse. Im using the michelin hp4 now and its a well planted tire. PS you can get a set of 2 for 60 bucks if you know where to look...

• RiderX

Posted July 26, 2011 - 07:18 AM

Bridgestone M403 for me. Bites very well.

• primerib108

Posted July 27, 2011 - 04:15 AM

I have to say that is almost exactly what I did for my 06......took me over a year of fiddling (and crashing on the loose stuff) to find that setting except mine is @ 98mm and 5mm drop. A lot of my buds have their forks set a zero and none of them are near 6' like myself and they can't figure why their bikes don't turn very well.

Perelli mid-soft (MT32?) or the S12 is what I have used with great results.

• cowboyona426

Posted July 27, 2011 - 06:57 AM

Been running a Kenda Washougal myself with mostly good results.

• idahoexcr500

Posted July 28, 2011 - 05:21 AM

the MX51 is pretty good, try a 756 if you can find one. I run 95mm sag and forks slid up 5mm in clamps. both those changes really helped with the front end push. Sag especially made a big difference. more sag makes it push. I also took a couple of clicks out off forks comp and rebound to help the front settle lower.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.