hit a jump and landed hard and now somethings not right

31 replies to this topic
  • Wiz636

Posted July 26, 2011 - 09:36 AM

...and don't forget the shock bearings.

• M_Drier

Posted July 26, 2011 - 09:38 AM

Even if the linkage is all greased, if the needles are bad or have small bits of rust will still bind no matter how much grease u add. DO NOT buy used bearings! Why get rid of shot bearings and put in shot bearings?

• Octanee

Posted July 26, 2011 - 08:01 PM

lol, i know that the linkage is bad, so i took it apart to take a look, and i packed it in with grease not long ago so that it wouldnt have so much slop, which did help, i would buy a linkage off ebay A: because mines been used up so its probably worn in some sort of way
and B: the bearings in them are usually good, also, you can get a linkage for 30 bucks,

and like i said, its worn its self pretty much

and by sag, YES the bikes sag when you sit on them, thats normal, and when i talk about sag, as i thought ive said before, my bike Sags as it is, under its own weight, it sags down about 4 inches

When i sit in it, it THEN goes down another 2-3 inches, my friends bike, with out sitting on it, with the bikes weight its self, it has very little sag, maybe 1 inch if that, you sit on it, yeah she goes down about 3 inches or so, so like i said, mine under the bikes OWN weight, sags like 4 inches before i even sit on it,

so at that im thinking either that the shock needs a rebuild??? or its the spring thats fatigued and needs replacing,

• grayracer513

Posted July 26, 2011 - 09:08 PM

Do you understand that the sag is adjustable?

• Octanee

Posted July 26, 2011 - 10:05 PM

lol, i guess not?, i mean i know they say that you adjust the sag, according to weight and all sorts of stuff, i figure meaning the adjustements and spring tension?? but i dont htink my bike ever sagged as much as it does now, soo thats why im thinking fatigued shock or spring, what ever they call them, but i guess you could say i dont know how to adjust

unless you mean to stiffen the spring up to cause it to push the suspension back up,??? i was thinking of doing that, but figured if i have to do that, it might mean i have other issues?

• dgcars

Posted July 26, 2011 - 11:24 PM

A 5 year old bike which has been ridden hard (100' jumps) never had the shock opened??
Is it just me.....shock oil will be like dirty dish water and it will have god only knows how much Nitrogen pressure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Octanee

Posted July 27, 2011 - 03:12 AM

A 5 year old bike which has been ridden hard (100' jumps) never had the shock opened??
Is it just me.....shock oil will be like dirty dish water and it will have god only knows how much Nitrogen pressure.

k so i should rebuild...? and not its whole life, we dont have a REAL track here, its more of a some guy comes to some property next to thesaw mill and makes some jumps, its a out door track basically thats not maintained, but its a decent one,

im more of a trail rider, also one way to tell about shock condition/ nitrogen is how it acts at coming up and going down, which both ways its very slow, aside from hitting a jump, you dont notice it, but shes hard when you sit on her, i just got the sag/sqweek,

but i should do the back shock, i know that so i will deffinetely be looking at that for sure, i figure i may as well do back and front, fronts Justtt starting to leak fork oil

• dgcars

Posted July 27, 2011 - 03:31 AM

Yup....sounds like the boingers are due some TLC.

• Octanee

Posted July 27, 2011 - 02:41 PM

Yup....sounds like the boingers are due some TLC.

what you mean by boingers?

• dgcars

Posted July 27, 2011 - 02:48 PM

Ha...Forks and shock 'cause they have springs (boingers)

• Octanee

Posted July 27, 2011 - 07:31 PM

Ha...Forks and shock 'cause they have springs (boingers)

oh, yeah,

• Octanee

Posted August 07, 2011 - 03:37 PM

ok she be figured out, yes its the linkage, and its 1 part i didnt think about/forgot about, and even looking at it now, i dont see how to of taken it apart to grease it, but its the long arm that connects from the Frame its self, to part of the linkage thats under the shock, she seized up hard that yeah shes a sqweaker,

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.