hit a jump and landed hard and now somethings not right

31 replies to this topic
  • Octanee

Posted July 24, 2011 - 11:56 PM

hi guys, well basically today, we went to our free track, and its pretty good actually, but any how this table top is almost like a step up, if you picture it as a Upside down D or right side up, you jump from the 1 part of this hill down the other, its about a 100ft jump, ive been hitting it alot, then i start making progress and landing on the actual down hill, when i did, it seemed kinda hard, maybe hard then some times??? but then it felt like the bike was almost like laid back a bit, and it almost felt like something was loose like the swing arm???

but of course its not, so i go down the road thinking huh whats up, cant find anything, hit a small jump, seems OK????, stop at truck and theres a sqweeking noise, if you push the suspension down, and hold it then pull up it will sqweek when you start moving it, but not while its moving up and down,

its a 06 Yz450f, rear shock has never been touched, the shock does have some sag, as in it dont return all the way, now it "might" be worse? im not sure, i have my clicker settings and my rebound or what its called, everything all maxed out to being hard and slow, it seems to work great on the track, but stiff on the trails,

does anybody know what the sqweek is? its not my exhaust, i already checked that, i will be tearing into the bike soon to see if i can find out where the sqweek is coming from, im thinking rear shock is shot?? maybe a seal or something and thats why its sqweeking...? thanks

• pigpen966

Posted July 25, 2011 - 08:12 AM

linkage bearings

• Wiz636

Posted July 25, 2011 - 08:29 AM

If the bike is an '06 and the shock has never been off then it probably should be seviced.

Aside from that, most likely your lower shock bearing and rear suspension linkage bearings are wasted from not being greased and this is causing the suspension to drag and to squeak. Probably your swingarm bearings also. You just need to tear it down and find out what's up.

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 25, 2011 - 11:48 AM

I cringe at what horror awaits as you start to dissasemble the linkage if they have never been greased since the bike was new in '06. :smirk: Pray the bolts even come out. If this is to be the case (lack of grease maintenence) you better pull apart the steering stem bearings as well, and get ready for more bad news...

• Octanee

Posted July 25, 2011 - 11:54 AM

well, my linkage was Already f'd, it has slot when i pick the bike up and down, theres slop in there, so i had taken my linkage apart, and removed some pins from 1 part of the linkage and put it in another, or well mainly i swapped the pins around, and it made it not as bad, but i greased the linkage up like a mofo!

so i dont think its the linkage, but it could be any how, i think i might be finding out,

i guess sag is also from a fatigued spring??

and i had a while ago swapped my dirtbike frame, so, i had greased the steering bearings then, but it got rough, so about a month ago i had torn it all down again and greased up the steering bearings, they are still in very good shape!!

• Schpenxel

Posted July 25, 2011 - 12:03 PM

rear linkage bearings are gone. replace them.

• Octanee

Posted July 25, 2011 - 12:25 PM

rear linkage bearings are gone. replace them.

they are done for, i know that, and i know i gotta replace it, but its been holding on for a while ,but i havent been able to get something to replace that yet, ill end up buying linkage off ebay, get the whole thing for like 30 bucks, as to a 90$ kit, + ive let my linkage go for a while, so i dont think a rebuild kit would work well, its probably worn the alluminum,

so your all betting on the rear linkage then i take it,

• tech24

Posted July 25, 2011 - 02:55 PM

The only thing that should wear is the bearing and sleeves unless they seized completely and are wearing the bolts. The linkage itself should be fine but anything is possible. You'd probly be better off with rebuild kit as oppossed to used linkage but you might get a nice set?????

Either way if you don't like taking your stuff apart and greasing it a lot (as I) then get some of this grease, use it, and forget about it. Others may not agree but this is the best grease I have ever used or seen. Even a pressure washer will not move this stuff.

http://www.amsoil.co...ront/gpor2.aspx

• Octanee

Posted July 25, 2011 - 03:31 PM

The only thing that should wear is the bearing and sleeves unless they seized completely and are wearing the bolts. The linkage itself should be fine but anything is possible. You'd probly be better off with rebuild kit as oppossed to used linkage but you might get a nice set?????

Either way if you don't like taking your stuff apart and greasing it a lot (as I) then get some of this grease, use it, and forget about it. Others may not agree but this is the best grease I have ever used or seen. Even a pressure washer will not move this stuff.

http://www.amsoil.co...ront/gpor2.aspx

i do take apart stuff, ive already said my linkage is packed with more grease then its ment to have ha ha, and my steering, ive rebuilt my bike 2x my self, ii know how to do all this stuff, but it would be weird to me if the sqweek is from the linkage...

• Yamiryder

Posted July 25, 2011 - 03:44 PM

The bearings are shot and lacking of grease, causing them to squeak. And the shock should have sag, so it can travel up and down.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Octanee

Posted July 25, 2011 - 03:46 PM

well yes, sag to a degree, but from pulling it all the way up, then pushing down, it probably goes down with hand like 4 inches or 5, and when you let off your hand it does not return, so by sag thats what i mean

my friends bike, 08yz450f has like no sag, it holds its self all the way up at the top, then when you sit on it, it does go down, obviously, but mine sits at highest return about like i said, 4 or so inches lower then when you pull it up,

and before when the linkage bearings where dry, they did not sqweek, about a month ago i packed them up with a crapload of greese, so i wouldnt think they are dry yet, ive been riding track, but i will find out soon i guess, when ever i tear it apart

• Yamiryder

Posted July 25, 2011 - 03:55 PM

It sounds like you have your rebound really slow and your buddy bass his really fast.

• Octanee

Posted July 25, 2011 - 04:37 PM

lol nope, i have my clickers all maxed to hard and slow, his are too, his is a 08 yz450f, mines 06, both of ours is maxed and his comes back up to the top, im thinking my springs just fatigued, might need to replace that, but i know i should rebuild my rear shock for sure though

• Yamiryder

Posted July 25, 2011 - 04:45 PM

Are both of your sage set to the same height?

• Octanee

Posted July 25, 2011 - 04:47 PM

Are both of your sage set to the same height?

sag? or sage?

• Yamiryder

Posted July 25, 2011 - 05:53 PM

Sorry, sag. Stupid iPod:banghead:

• Octanee

Posted July 25, 2011 - 07:57 PM

well i dont know, like i said his bike has no sag at all, you sit on it, and get off, even on everything maxed, stiffest and slowest rebound, his bike, when you sit on it, get off it comes all the way up, you pull on the fender, you start picking up the bike, my bike, you sit, get off, it pretty much stays the same, dont move up really, and put pull up on the fender and it sucks it up about 3-4inches or so,

• grayracer513

Posted July 26, 2011 - 06:33 AM

Both those situations are wrong. His does not have enough "static sag", which is the amount that the rear suspension settles under the weight of the bike. When the rider stands on the pegs, the rear should compress about 4". The weight of the bike by itself should compress the rear about 1". If you can't get both of these measurements to be roughly correct at the same time, the spring is too soft or too stiff for the rider's weight.

http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm
http://www.tootechra...pension Tip.htm

On yours, however far the bike compresses under a load, it should return to within 10mm of the same place it started from. If it settles 100mm (4") under its own weight, and you compress it any distance, it should return to being compressed no more than 110mm all by itself. If it doesn't, the shock, linkage, or both are binding.

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 26, 2011 - 08:21 AM

well i dont know, like i said his bike has no sag at all, you sit on it, and get off, even on everything maxed, stiffest and slowest rebound, his bike, when you sit on it, get off it comes all the way up, you pull on the fender, you start picking up the bike, my bike, you sit, get off, it pretty much stays the same, dont move up really, and put pull up on the fender and it sucks it up about 3-4inches or so,

You said in one post you know the linkage is worn, you also said in another post you have already greased everything previously... i'm confused... what did the linkage look like the last time you greased it ? Further driving a bike with a trashed linkage is just dumb, dangereous and going to cost you way more money by trashing the bolts and possibly the aluminum pivot arm. If you don't have the money to fix it right, park the bike until you do....

• Schpenxel

Posted July 26, 2011 - 08:24 AM

Sounds like he packed grease into already ruined bearings.

And buying used linkage to get the bearings is a horrible idea. I really doubt you've worn all the way through the bearing sleeves and into the aluminum..

REPLACE

THE

BEARINGS

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.