Rebuilt 03 yz 450 not starting

2 replies to this topic
  • kaminski347

Posted July 24, 2011 - 04:48 PM

I just rebuilt this 03 yz 450 after its been siting for a couple years. Ive been trying to start it but its not going well. I change the plug and getting spark. I believe Im getting fuel bc the I can smell it on the plug.

I kick it over a bunch and all I get is a few puffs of smoke and occasionally a backfire.

Could I possibly have the timing off? I timed it according to the manual but I was wondering if maybe I could have the timing off and have it firing on a decompression stroke instead of a compression stroke?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Schpenxel

Posted July 25, 2011 - 12:10 PM

Has the fuel in it been sitting for a couple of years too?

If it's been sitting even for a few months (or it has sat at any point with fuel in it without being cleaned out) then the carb needs to be cleaned very well. Pilot jets clog very easily.. it's almost easier to just replace them so you know they're clean.

That sounds like your problem to me.

Also, your timing can't be "halfway" off. The plug fires every time the piston goes up, regardless of whether it's a power stroke or exhaust stroke..so that is not your problem.

• kaminski347

Posted July 25, 2011 - 03:37 PM

It is fresh gas and I did talk the carb and just sprayed carb cleaner through everything sometime in January but Ill look into replacing the pilot jet.

Thanks for the info on the timing.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.