Reliability & high miles from WR 400 ??

7 replies to this topic
  • pc3

Posted September 05, 2003 - 05:24 AM

about six months ago I purchased a mint WR 400 December 00 build with an orginal 244 km's on the clock. The bloke had hurt his back and could not ride it.

I got this bike at a good price and it would not have been my first choice but I knew the history and I took it for a test ride and I liked it (I was looking for an XR650, but this was near brand new & half price).

All in all have the WR 400's proven to be reliable and get high miles ?? I here some people say that they are prone to blowing up "any ride", and that you should off load it at 2000-3000 km mark as thats all there good for due to being a race bike.

How true is this ??

• rockieman

Posted September 05, 2003 - 05:40 AM

It all depends on how you maintain the bike.....I bought my '99 new and have over 6000 miles on it. It does not burn a drop of oil and I have had no issues with it's reliability. Keep the oil changed and the valves adjusted and I'm sure you'll be fine. :)
Good luck with your new bike!

• pc3

Posted September 05, 2003 - 06:17 AM

Thanks for that I have done another 300 km's on it since I have had it. Would have been more but I stopped riding it until I saved enough cash for some boots, helmet, armour, goggles etc.

I am only a begginner and cannot afford to have a bike that won't give me some decent service. I have already changed the oil twice (once when I got it at 244km's) and again at 530 km's. Air filter has been done 3 times and I have been using filter skins.

I intend to change the oil every other ride. Hope I bought the right bike over the XR 650.

• MOmilkman

Posted September 05, 2003 - 06:22 AM

It all depends on how you maintain the bike.....I bought my '99 new and have over 6000 miles on it. It does not burn a drop of oil and I have had no issues with it's reliability. Keep the oil changed and the valves adjusted and I'm sure you'll be fine. :)
Good luck with your new bike!

Best advice right there. :D Change that oil and you will have a healthy bike for a loooooooong time. (at least you should)
I have about the same mileage as rockieman (or more) and mine runs as good as the day I brought it home from the dealer.

The only other thing I would add is, stay on TT if you have any questions or concerns. You will get tons better advice here than from your local dealer. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pc3

Posted September 05, 2003 - 06:46 AM

Thanks for the help folks.

Have found this sight great so far. I have bought a YZ pipe of moto2000 to replace the stupid black ag bike pipe 00 Aussie WR's got for road rego. Now I will hopefully get a nice note from the motor :)

moto2000 is great to deal with.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 05, 2003 - 09:30 AM

Great tips from all. These bikes are very reliable, just change the oil as much as you can and keep the airfilter as clean as you can.... They'll run forever..

Dan

• lewichris

Posted September 05, 2003 - 10:21 AM

i am pretty sure i have over 8000 miles on mine. I have zero problems to report. I change to oil alot, and i keep the airfilter clean. it seems to run the same as it did when i got the thing. So to me you have a highly reliable bike that is also high performance. I have just put on so damn many tires, and chains. LOL but those are not so bad i guess

Chris

• pc3

Posted September 05, 2003 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for the votes of confidence folks.

Well it's only done 530km's now so I will get plenty out of it.

Bike I had previuos to this was a KLX 650 enduro model there were things I liked about it, but this thing feels much more nimble.

As I am 95kg I think I will need to check the spring sag I reckon it's set up for somone a little lighter but I am not sure.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.