abnormal engine knock!

1 reply to this topic
  • YZ450F4

Posted July 23, 2011 - 10:55 AM

I got my bike back together today. Has a fresh crank, bearings, cylinder, piston and rings, and valves. It started second kick today. First time the motor has been ran with the new internals. It ran fine so i heat cycled the first time, let it cool and went to heat cycle it again. (i heat cycle it three times before i ride it) It ran for about 8 minutes the second time i cycled it and then it started a real loud engine knock. I know yzs have a normal engine knock but its five times as loud as my YFZ450 and as my YZ was before rebuild. Took it apart, timing is dead on. Valves appear to be good also. Pulled the clutch apart and all the gears look to be good and where they should be. Put it back together and it fired right up but it still had the god awful engine knock. I shut it down immediately. Has anyone else had this problem?:smirk: Any help would be apprecitated. Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bnichols87ss

Posted August 09, 2011 - 10:20 PM

Did you take the ignition cover, and flywheel off for further inspection? I've heard of the timing chain guide bolts backing out before and making some noise. Was the chain replaced? It's a good habit to start spraying carb cleaner into the bolt holes to clean out any oil that sneaks in, and using loc-tite. I've never ran mine low on oil before, but I believe that might make some noise also???

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.