*HELP* 02 WR 426 sandy and whooped trail susp set-up please!

14 replies to this topic
  • un chained

Posted July 22, 2011 - 05:43 AM

Just picked up a reeeally nice low hour, unmolested WR that runs awesome and is a beast! On firm ground, I think it handles better than average and is set up well but in the sand, I cant keep the front end from washing out and it absolutely plows unless Im applying a fist full of throttle. So far Ive had several close calls and overshoots because my ground speed is to fast due to trying to keep the front end up.

Im looking for rear shock sag and clicker settings, fork tube height (in the triple clamps) and again clicker settings to get me in the ball park.

Im 6,1"-195 lbs and am dont jump the bike, just whooped trails, sand and single tracks.

Im not interested in swapping tanks and seat and investing a lot of money into revalving the shocks/forks either. I am though going to upgrade the front tire to a better soft terrain tread but this isnt my first rodeo in the sand and know that my issues are far beyond just a tire swap. thanks!!!

Edited by un chained, July 22, 2011 - 06:05 AM.

• Pooley

Posted July 22, 2011 - 06:41 AM

Give it a few clicks to firm up the compression up front and control excessive diving. It may help you a little.

• un chained

Posted July 22, 2011 - 07:38 AM

Give it a few clicks to firm up the compression up front and control excessive diving. It may help you a little.

Thanks, I have been messing with the fork compression and rebound and although firmer compression and less rebound seems to help, I belive theres more going on than just the clickers. Im looking for a little more advanced settings at this point I guess...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 22, 2011 - 03:28 PM

Thanks, I have been messing with the fork compression and rebound and although firmer compression and less rebound seems to help, I belive theres more going on than just the clickers. Im looking for a little more advanced settings at this point I guess...

If the forks are stock, they will always be too soft, and low on damping, for deep whoop work. There are DIY fork kits that make big improvements over stock. Search Smart Performance.

• byggd

Posted July 23, 2011 - 06:09 AM

Raise the forks about 10mm. Keep your weight back in lose stuff and a constant throttle. I don’t change my settings for sand just my riding technique.

• un chained

Posted July 24, 2011 - 03:45 AM

Raise the forks about 10mm. Keep your weight back in lose stuff and a constant throttle. I don’t change my settings for sand just my riding technique.

Ok when you say raise the forks, you mean lower the front end by exposing more fork or raise the front end by pushing the forks down in the triple clamps?

• un chained

Posted July 24, 2011 - 03:49 AM

Does the lowering the rear end with an aftermarket shock linkage help like it seems it would? I'm 6'0 but I feel like I'm just barely tall enough for the bike...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted July 24, 2011 - 07:42 AM

Ok when you say raise the forks, you mean lower the front end by exposing more fork or raise the front end by pushing the forks down in the triple clamps?

Correct.

• un chained

Posted July 27, 2011 - 06:00 AM

Correct.

Correct what? Expose more fork and lower the front end or expose less fork and raise the front end? thanks,,,

• byggd

Posted July 27, 2011 - 07:25 AM

Correct what? Expose more fork and lower the front end or expose less fork and raise the front end? thanks,,,

Exposing more fork by 10mm.

• un chained

Posted July 27, 2011 - 08:26 AM

Exposing more fork by 10mm.

Hmmm Interesting. I was just reading some old articles about sand set up and it said to raise the front end (chopper like) by 5-10mm and increase the rear shock race sage (lower the seat) by 10mm.

• GCannon

Posted July 27, 2011 - 08:58 AM

Do this first!

• byggd

Posted July 27, 2011 - 09:28 AM

Hmmm Interesting. I was just reading some old articles about sand set up and it said to raise the front end (chopper like) by 5-10mm and increase the rear shock race sage (lower the seat) by 10mm.

I think it depends on how tight the single track is. IMO the 426 handles better in tight stuff with the front end lowered a tad. It can cause some head shake at higher speeds but my scott's takes care of that.

• un chained

Posted July 28, 2011 - 01:28 AM

Do this first!

The first thing I did was firm up the compression clickers. It does make a difference and helps in the sand but then it rode like a covers wagon. I'm going to raise the front end and or buy the YAMlink and lower the rear for a couple reasons. I hate to spend $180 on that linkage link but everything I read makes it sound like its what I need. It won't hurt to have my feet and center of gravity closer to the ground eitherway.

• un chained

Posted July 28, 2011 - 01:30 AM

I think it depends on how tight the single track is. IMO the 426 handles better in tight stuff with the front end lowered a tad. It can cause some head shake at higher speeds but my scott's takes care of that.

The trails I was struggling with are 50" ORV trails not single track. It handles very well in true single trackers...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.