6 replies to this topic
  • kieran 400wr

Posted July 22, 2011 - 01:22 AM

hi my 00 wr400 has run good for the past 2 years but now has started to back fire when im slowing down a lot , it has stop idle as well and is very hard to start . it runs good when driving at hi rpm but not so good at low . any ideas

• board9898

Posted July 22, 2011 - 01:29 AM

Sounds like a blocked pilot jet or dirt in the fuel bowl.

• dgcars

Posted July 22, 2011 - 01:50 AM

+1 on the PJ. You should have a 45# or thereabouts in there. Either take it out and clean or if it were me, i'd pop a new one in there.
A problem with WR's.....go forever.
Check the valve clearances to keep everything tip-top. If the popping on decel persists, make sure you there are no leaks around the header.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kieran 400wr

Posted July 22, 2011 - 02:07 AM

thanks lads ill try that i was told it could be timeing chain so was geting worried there ill let u know if it works
.i put it up for sale and the day after it starts this i dont think it wants to go , THANKS LADS

• board9898

Posted July 23, 2011 - 12:35 AM

Almost certainly nothing to do with the timing chain. I had a WR400 for two years with a rattling timing chain and it still ran fine. Unless it has jumped a tooth, but it doesn't sound like that from the symptoms you describe.

• KevB

Posted July 25, 2011 - 06:20 AM

If it's not that Jet, my money's on one of the Exhaust vavles getting tight... check the valve clearances.

• gjscott

Posted July 25, 2011 - 03:08 PM

Maybe an inlet vacuum leak. That can cause backfiring.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.