2010/11 YZ450F questions

21 replies to this topic
  • YamaThumperRider

Posted July 21, 2011 - 08:57 PM

Im a fast B woods rider on a 09 YZ250F and its time for a new YZ450F. I have some questions about turning this into a woods weapon. With the new EFI can I adjust anything like the idle or the maps without the GYTR tuner? How harsh is the suspension, im 180 with gear and fairly aggressive in the woods. Can i get by without a revalve right away?

• Eliass

Posted July 22, 2011 - 12:09 AM

First, the gearing needs to be changed due to the high speed first gear. Also it's alot easier to stall than the 2009 models so an trail flywheel is a must.
The suspension is very smooth in the initial stroke for mx which i like, i tried running swedish enduro and sure it's possible but not as comfortable as an enduro suspension.
Although your woods track can be very different with much higher speeds and less rock, i think that there are a thread about which mods to do to a 2010 yz450f for woods riding.

In worst case if you buy a stocker you can try without a revalve and then decide what to do.

• thestuz

Posted July 22, 2011 - 03:14 AM

they are great stock for your weight. i weigh the same, and love my mates 10.

they stall, and they are snappy. but alover, a graet package.

• tech24

Posted July 22, 2011 - 04:41 AM

A tuner is a must! You can only adjust idle speed without it but can't read what it is and its gotta be dead on. A flywheel and/or rekluse is a must. Very nice stock supsension even in the woods, worth a try at least. Injectioneering throttle body mod is recommended but not necessary.

• YamaThumperRider

Posted July 22, 2011 - 06:48 AM

Thanks guys for the replies. So the tuner makes a huge difference and is a must?

• Eliass

Posted July 22, 2011 - 07:07 AM

Some say that you can tune the bike better, expecially that you can tone down the bark off idle.

Some that have tried went back too the stock mapping because the bike didn't get any better. I haven't tried the tuner myself but i will too see for myself.

Rekluse is darn expensive but as the above posts it will make a ton of difference, makes it harder to stall the bike.

• YamaThumperRider

Posted July 22, 2011 - 07:14 AM

Mmmm, I see, I definitely think this bike can be amazing in the woods, probably cheap about it too. Only thing I didn't like was the 270 some dollar tuner. But compared to buying an exhaust, it's not expensive at all.

Thanks for all re input again guys.
Zack

• grayracer513

Posted July 22, 2011 - 07:23 AM

It wasn't that the people who returned to the stock map couldn't make the changes they wanted, it's just that they happened to like the stock map the best. There's a "woods map" in the map DB thread that a lot of guys like a lot.

Another thing that was a common compliant about the '10 model in the woods was the abrupt nature of the engine's off-idle response. Riders found that it was difficult to avoid a jerky, on/off feel when trying to use light throttle at low speeds. A company named Injectioneering was doing throttle body modifications that changed the throttle plate angle at idle to correct this, and the mod was getting good reviews. Haven't much about it in a while though. May have been corrected on the '11...don't know.

• YamaThumperRider

Posted July 22, 2011 - 07:52 AM

I have read good things about the throttle body mods. Guess we'll see what I want to change when I actually get some ride time. I appreciate all the in-put gray

• SurvivorMan

Posted July 22, 2011 - 08:14 AM

this bike is deadly in the woods once you get the right ECU map in place. You don't need to buy a tuner, someone around you has to have one and then just down load a woods type code. It will take you 5-10 minutes even if you enter your own code in manually. I have a code that makes the bottom super smooth with no hit and then just builds very linear to a great top end...no hits anywhere. the bike gets amazing traction on slippery roots with a burnt up 19' rear. Don't touch the exhaust, stock is fine. If you are an advanced level moto racer, then you will benefit from the upgraded exhaust, but stock works great. 49 tooth rear, hand guards and a skid plate. don't touch the valving, you are throwing away money unless you are a top pro on a work out program. Just set your sag with proper sized springs. The Rekluse helps but is not a must, just get a proper map into that ECU. You can detune this bike into a 400 XCW if you want to.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tech24

Posted July 22, 2011 - 09:43 AM

If you're trying to go inexpesive as possible I would say flywheel, borrowed tuner and let it eat. A nice slip on may be a good choice to as it really changes the power characteristics.

FWIW I use woods map, and GYTR broad powerband map mostly.

• YamaThumperRider

Posted July 22, 2011 - 07:10 PM

The more you guys talk about it, the more I want it haha. I'll deff ask around to see if anyone has a tuner. I've been reading A LOT of stuff about this bike, all of it sounds very good.

• cowboyona426

Posted July 25, 2011 - 08:31 AM

Sure wish I could find a bargain on a leftover 10 somewhere...

• Troutman

Posted July 25, 2011 - 07:08 PM

Sure wish I could find a bargain on a leftover 10 somewhere...

Pick up a barely used one. There are some great barely used bikes for under $5000 around here. You will not regret it, it's a great bike and the same as the 2011, and 2012 and is still bullet-proof :smirk:

• cowboyona426

Posted July 27, 2011 - 07:01 AM

Pick up a barely used one. There are some great barely used bikes for under $5000 around here. You will not regret it, it's a great bike and the same as the 2011, and 2012 and is still bullet-proof :smirk:

I haven't been seeing anything locally. After seeing HRC's blacked out 11 with the Monster graphics I'm in love!

• YamaLink

Posted July 27, 2011 - 10:20 AM

A gytr flywheel is a good option. I like that + a more aggressive map for woods riding.

• Troutman

Posted July 27, 2011 - 07:27 PM

I haven't been seeing anything locally. After seeing HRC's blacked out 11 with the Monster graphics I'm in love!

Yeah, that is a sweet bike. But keep an eye out I have seen more and more good bikes lately on Craigs list. One bad thing about the 2010, 11's, and 12's being the same bike is that I have not seen any really deep price cuts on the 10's or 11's that you would typically see with the introduction of newer updated models, good luck.

• cowboyona426

Posted July 28, 2011 - 06:05 AM

Yeah, that is a sweet bike. But keep an eye out I have seen more and more good bikes lately on Craigs list. One bad thing about the 2010, 11's, and 12's being the same bike is that I have not seen any really deep price cuts on the 10's or 11's that you would typically see with the introduction of newer updated models, good luck.

Saw one on CL for $4500 in CO... that's a loooong way from WA though.

• tech24

Posted July 28, 2011 - 07:50 AM

Saw one on CL for $4500 in CO... that's a loooong way from WA though.

fly out and ride it back :smirk:

• cowboyona426

Posted July 28, 2011 - 09:06 AM

fly out and ride it back :smirk:

BWAHAHAHA... don't give me any ideas!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.