Oil Strainer

3 replies to this topic
  • audaveh

Posted July 21, 2011 - 02:48 PM

Don't think I am an idiot, but after forty years of riding a two stroke this changing motor oil is new to me! I have a 2005 WR 450 F and I just performed the Engine Oil Replacement per service manual instructions.

Questions:
- How do you get the hose to pull off the bottom of the oil strainer?
I couldn't get any leverage to pull it off, so I just backed out the strainer with the hose still attached.

- I pulled the strainer out as stated in the service manual, but after that it doesn't say what to do. Am I supposed to clean it, inspect it or do you remove it just to get the last of the oil out? Is this really a needed step everytime?

- Finally, do you really need to change the "plain washer" and O rings out for new ones everytime you change the oil or just inspect them and change them as needed?

Please let me know and any other oil changing tips would be appreciated too!

Thanks.

• MANIAC998

Posted July 21, 2011 - 06:51 PM

Don't worry about that strainer cleaning. I've been on 4 stroke Yamaha's since '98 and I've never gotten anything out of the strainer. Now, if you blow your bike up sometime, then yes, I'd pull the strainer and take a look. But I doubt you'll ever need to clean it. Maniac

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 05-WR450F

Posted July 24, 2011 - 04:30 AM

agreed.

I've done mine a few times over the 3 years I've owned it. never once found a thing. not worth the effort.

Don't worry about that strainer cleaning. I've been on 4 stroke Yamaha's since '98 and I've never gotten anything out of the strainer. Now, if you blow your bike up sometime, then yes, I'd pull the strainer and take a look. But I doubt you'll ever need to clean it. Maniac

• miweber929

Posted July 24, 2011 - 05:02 AM

Don't think I am an idiot, but after forty years of riding a two stroke this changing motor oil is new to me! I have a 2005 WR 450 F and I just performed the Engine Oil Replacement per service manual instructions.

Questions:
- How do you get the hose to pull off the bottom of the oil strainer?
I couldn't get any leverage to pull it off, so I just backed out the strainer with the hose still attached.

- I pulled the strainer out as stated in the service manual, but after that it doesn't say what to do. Am I supposed to clean it, inspect it or do you remove it just to get the last of the oil out? Is this really a needed step everytime?

- Finally, do you really need to change the "plain washer" and O rings out for new ones everytime you change the oil or just inspect them and change them as needed?

Please let me know and any other oil changing tips would be appreciated too!

Thanks.

Dude, you're over thinking this!! Have you changed the oil in your car ever? Same concept, 4 stroke motor, engine oil lubes it, oil strainers, oil filters.

- The hose will come off, it's just burnt on there. No real trick other than loosen the clamps and pry. Carefully.

- Strainer, like was mentioned is an oil filter of sorts that filters out anything big in the oil tank. Check it on a newly acquired bike, say once every 10 oil changes or if something happens to your motor where big parts may be floating. The manual does have an inspection spec for that if memory serves me.

- There should be no "plain" washers for drainbolts only crush, at least on my 04 and every other motorcycle I've owned. They're cheap to replace and it's said in the manual to replace every time you drain oil but I buy a bunch, have them on hand and replace as needed. You can tell when they get shot, as, well, they crush.

Hope this helps.

Mike

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.