Steel oil filters, your opinion please

28 replies to this topic
  • Yamiryder

Posted July 23, 2011 - 10:47 AM

Did you read the link I posted?

Yes, but being that I have never had a problem with my paper filters and I'm limited on funds, it makes more sense for me to continue to use the paper filters. I have extras and I can buy about 18 of the Paper filters for the price of the scotts.

• grayracer513

Posted July 23, 2011 - 01:47 PM

I can buy about 18 of the Paper filters for the price of the scotts.

So can I. And if I only used one a month, the Scotts has given me the equivalent of 30 free paper filters after the 18 that it cost me.

• Yamiryder

Posted July 23, 2011 - 03:18 PM

Ok. I give up. I'll buy a scotts, someday.:smirk:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 25, 2011 - 07:12 AM

Are the end frames machined from billet stock or stamped? Is the bypass valve a steel ball with a stainless spring, or a stamped plate? Is the seam of the mesh media welded, or just folded? How much media is there in the element? Can you get a replacement seal for it 3 years from now?

I have the same Scotts I bought for my '06 in late '07 when I bought the bike. That makes it just about 4 years old. I had it tested last month. It still stops 100% of all particles larger than 33 microns. When I see a knock off do that, I may change my mind.

I have 3 stainlees filters made by Ready racing who makes ready airfilters. Dont know if you are familiar with them. I bought the first one for my 06 450 back in 2006. I still have that same filter and use it in my 2010 450. since then i have bought two more of them just to have as spares ready when i change the oil.

The first one I bought still looks new and everthing is still intact and it is now 5 years old. I all ways wanted a Scott's filter but had trouble of finding one where I could order it. But now since I've used the RR ones I know how well they stand up and are about $40.00 some dollars cheaper than the scott's,I will just continue using them (not saying they are better than Scott's) just saying I have had good results with them and would recommend them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 25, 2011 - 07:31 AM

I have 3 stainlees filters made by Ready racing who makes ready airfilters. Dont know if you are familiar with them.

I am. Those are the ones that are made to the wrong dimensions and require the use of the custom oil filter cover they supply with the filter. The cover also is prone to leak because the seal groove wasn't cut right, and the oil passages in the cover are smaller than in the stock one.

• rjcook450

Posted July 25, 2011 - 08:51 AM

I agree with Gray, i had a Ready racing filter on my 08 for a while it worked fine, but soon I had problems with their cover wanting to leak, got tired of it and bought a scotts filter, new O-rings and went back to stock cover, no problems since.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 25, 2011 - 05:15 PM

I agree with Gray, i had a Ready racing filter on my 08 for a while it worked fine, but soon I had problems with their cover wanting to leak, got tired of it and bought a scotts filter, new O-rings and went back to stock cover, no problems since.

The RR cover on my 06 never leaked a bit. Must been one of the better ones.

However they didnt have a cover at the time I bought my 2010 so I just bought a couple more of the oil filters since the one I all ready had was 4 years old and still in great shape.

The covers were what was bad not the filters. Or at least the filters I have are good.

• NewMexican

Posted July 25, 2011 - 09:27 PM

Hows this for being on the fence. I have 1 Scotts filter that I swap between two 450s. Every oher change it goes in the other bike and a paper one goes in to replace it. So ss one change, then paper next change. In theory Im getting the best of both worlds...

• b--man426

Posted July 26, 2011 - 03:28 AM

There are only two SS filters that I trust -- Scotts and K & P engineering. They are the same filter :smirk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.